Mashed Potatoes & Carrots ♥

Mashed Potatoes & Carrots
These are definitely not your gramma's mashed potatoes! (Mine either!) But they belong in the category of "Why haven't we been doing this forever?" or maybe even a "genius recipe"! Just cook and mash potatoes and carrots together. You'll need hardly any (if any) fat and they'll be creamy beyond belief. Canadian Readers, these would be a great addition to Thanksgiving dinner. Do enjoy!

~recipe & photo updated 2005 & 2011 and republished 2011~
~more recently updated recipes~

2005 Original: Ooooo, if this isn’t comfort food, what is? Potatoes and carrots are verboten for Atkins followers but their extraordinary loss is our magnificent gain. Tonight I cooked and mashed a pound of Yukon golds and a pound of carrots with nothing more than a tablespoon of butter and salt and pepper. The color is extraordinary, the taste … well, let’s just say, oooooooooooooo.

Big TIp: Bypass those bags of prepeeled carrots for they have no flavor when cooked. And come on, it takes only eight minutes – EIGHT MINUTES – of prep work to dice the potatoes, peel and dice the carrots! Your family will thank you. Heavens, you’ll thank you!

2005 Update: Mashed Potatoes & Carrots swept my family. I told my 80-year old aunt, my dead Auntie Gloria, about them one evening last spring. She called an hour later to report, "I ate the whole pot." And here's a tip from my cousin Lynda who makes them all the time now. 'I've taken to using a smaller amount of water when I boil the veggies, and use all of it for the mashing - just add the salt, no butter. Delicious and no fat!' Atkins and South Beach and low-carb folks, if you're ever tempted to stray, here's a worthy temptation.

2011: This is one of a couple of dozen recipes from A Veggie Venture which I make all the time -- and if I weren't blogging, would make all the time!

REVIEWS
"... a family favorite at our house." ~ Lynda
"... truly are comfort food." ~ TravelGirl

RECIPE for MASHED POTATOES & CARROTS

Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Time to table: 45 minutes
Makes 3 cups

Water to cover (see ALANNA’s TIPS)
2 teaspoons table salt

1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed, skins on
1 pound carrots, scrubbed (and peeled, if you like, I have mixed results with not peeling)
1 tablespoon butter
Kosher salt
Black pepper

Bring water to boil in a large kettle or Dutch oven (see TIPS) over MEDIUM HIGH. While water boils, dice the potatoes in about one-inch pieces. Peel the carrots with a carrot peeler and cut cross-wise in half-inch lengths. (If the carrots are quite thick, cut them in half or in quarters lengthwise first.) Add table salt, potatoes and carrots to water and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to MEDIUM and let simmer until cooked, about 30 minutes. Drain potatoes in colander, saving about a cup of the hot water. Return potatoes and carrots to hot pan. Add butter and mash with a hand mixer or potato smasher, adding reserved water as needed -- the more cooking water, the creamier the potatoes. Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper.

ALANNA’s TIPS
“Water to cover” requires estimating approximately how much water is needed to barely cover the vegetables without leaving any bits sticking out of the water during the entire cooking process. Less water will boil faster than more water. And supposedly, less water means retaining more of the nutrients though I don’t remember seeing this since about 9th grade Home Ec and am not a dietician so don’t hold me to it! Anyway, just do your best when estimating.
If you’ll use a hand mixer with metal blades to mash the potatoes and carrots, cook the potatoes and carrots in a pot without a non-stick finish.



A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic




MORE FAVORITE CARROT RECIPES
~ Bourbon-Glazed Carrots ~
~ Creamy Carrot Puree ~
~ "Wonderful" Glazed Turnips & Carrots ~
~ more carrot recipes ~
from A Veggie Venture

~ Laura's Carrot Soup ~
~ Mashed Potatoes & Carrots ~
~ Baked Cabbage Wedges ~
~ more carrot recipes ~
from Kitchen Parade, my food column


A Veggie Venture is home of 'veggie evangelist' Alanna Kellogg and the
famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.
© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2005


11 comments:

This is a family favorite at our house. My daughter-in-law asks for them especially!

I tried these tonight and they truely are comfort food. I thought I would have to add some milk to get them creamy, but none was needed. Delicious!

Travel Girl ~ Lovely!! Thanks so much for sharing your results. And fall is such a great time for mashed potatoes and carrots!

Actually, yes, this is my gramma's mashed potatoes! I'm 55 and have eaten mashed potatoes and carrots all my life. We call them "pocarrots" in our family. My favorite thing that my mom did with leftovers, was to mix in a beaten egg and then fry up pocarrot patties for breakfast. Yummy!

This is in holland a very traditional meal. Once a week in the winter months for sure when I was a kid.

For me, mashed po and carrots are perfect for any season. Just as long as you need comfort food, make this all the way. Thanks for sharing the recipe Alanna. It's just what I need right now :)

I made this tonight for my family, and everyone liked it from the parents to the 10, 8, and 6 year olds.

I'm going to try this tonight. Yum. Thanks for sharing it! :)

For me these are, in fact, my grandmother's potatoes! She used to call them 'golden potatoes' and they were delicious. They are a fond memory from my childhood, though I'm quite sure she used more butter than you called for ;). Glad to see them revived. You have inspired me to follow in my grandmother's steps.

my mom's been making this forever. they are great!

This was great. I used my pressure cooker and it took 12mn. Thanks!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna