Day 50: Roasted Green Beans

~ recipe & photo updated in 2007 ~

2005: I took advantage of what's likely a last cool day -- and ran the oven, ran it, that is, without the air conditioning on as well.

My first reaction to these green beans was that they were, well, chewy. Make that very chewy. Once I slowed down and appreciated the texture and the salty grit, I liked them. And they're so easy to throw in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes when it's on for something else, this is a definite keeper. And I love the tin-foil covered pan - nothing to wash afterward!

2007 PHOTO UPDATE: In 2007, I fell in love with green beans all over again. But here's what I think, with two+ years of experience of cooking vegetables: green beans just don't work roasted. This time, I used a similar recipe, but from Cook's Illustrated, the folks who test again and again to perfect every little detail. I tossed the beans fresh from the farmers market in the recommended amount of olive oil (just a tablespoon for a pound, which happens to be the standard proportion on A Veggie Venture) and roasted them at 450F for the recommended 20 - 22 minutes (with a toss after 10 minutes). They really didn't finish cooking until after 30 minutes. And even then, to my taste, there's just better ways to cook green beans. See all the green bean recipes for ideas. Watch for the , they're favorites. Now, that said, my beans weren't as wrinkled and crinkly after 30 minutes as Cooks Illustrated's were pictured after supposedly 20 - 22 minutes. Maybe that would make the difference? Maybe.

ROASTED GREEN BEANS
Active time: 8 minutes
Time to table: 30 minutes
Serves 4


1 pound fresh green beans
Butter-flavored cooking spray (or for Cook's Illustrated, 1 tablespoon olive oil)
Salt & pepper

Set the oven to 450F. Cover a baking sheet with tin foil. Wash the beans and remove the stem ends. Be sure to dry them well, you can wrap in a towel for a minute or two. Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast 10 - 15 minutes or until just beginning to shrink and brown. (see ALANNA's TIPS)

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
Per Serving: 37 Cal (5% from Fat, 18% from Protein, 77% from Carb); 2 g Protein; 0 g Tot Fat; 0 g Sat Fat; 9 g Carb; 3 g Fiber; 48 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 3 mg Sodium; 0 mg Cholesterol, Weight Watchers 0 points

ALANNA's TIPS
  • If I were in a hurry, I'd throw the beans in the oven as soon as they were cleaned, even if the oven weren't preheated. I know of nothing to stop this practice -- does anyone else? I'm happy to be educated if there is -- but if you can save 10 minutes when the masses are starving, isn't that something?
  • While the fresh green beans were good, I suspect that frozen beans would work as well.

SOURCE
A new Weight Watchers cookbook that I spied in the supermarket checkout lane last week. It's called Five Ingredients, 15 Minutes and the vegetable section is terrific and the rest is pretty good too. The cover says it'll be on display until June 21.

6 comments:

Does the fact that, according to the Taste kitchen, the green beans innards transform to something like sugar (or increased sugar) affect the WW point count? I know that cooked carrots are not as low points as uncooked carrots. So, is it the same for roasted green beans?

ps. I loved these beans when I cooked them last evening!

Anonymous ~ You know, I just don't know though have wondered the same thing. It's why all the recipes here carry the reference, "nutrition estimate". When calculating the nutrition, I always start with 'raw' vegetables -- if only because nearly always, it's all that the USDA database provides and to make apples-to-apples (or would that be broccoli-to-broccoli) comparisons. I hope that readers understand that a 'nutrition estimate' is far better than the 'no nutrition information at all' provided by virtually all websites, including the major food magazines.

Belinda ~ Thanks for the recommendation! I'm glad you love roasted green beans!

We roast most of our veggies so I was happy to see this recipe.

I tossed on a bit of sea salt and started these as soon as I turned on the oven.

I roasted them for about 30 minutes total and was very happy with them. However, as they cooled, they became rubbery. Don't allow them to sit when they come out!

I roast green beans all the time. This method works best with the kind you get in the grocery store vs. the kinds we seem to grow at home. Home grown ones do indeed tend to turn out a bit dry and chewier. The storebought ones for some reason seem to have a higher moisture content to begin. Cooking spray will not work. A small amount of olive oil is good for you and keeps the beans from drying out.

Annie ~ Thanks for chiming in. You've inspired me to try again, this time with beans from the supermarket!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna