Day 169: Zucchini Pumpkin Bread ♥

This quick bread might have an identify issue. It's part spice cake, part zucchini bread, part pumpkin bread. But it's also moist and full of great spices. Best made one day and served the next.

Warm out of the oven? Disappointing.

But by the next day? Rave reviews.
  • "Alanna, this is excellent!"
  • "We warmed it up a little and oh, it tasted good."
This is a moist, flavorful zucchini bread. On first taste, I missed a bit of oomph from currants or walnuts but by the second, the cinnamon and nutmeg took hold and I, too, savored every bite.

This is a winner, a definite keeper.

TESTIMONIALS
"This Zucchini Pumpkin bread is amazing. So flavorful!" ~ Stephanie
"So moist, with a rich sweetness." ~ Darby
"I made these as muffins and you're right about the wow factor the next day." ~ Robin
"This is indeed better the next day! What a super moist bread!" ~ Daisy


RECIPE for ZUCCHINI PUMPKIN BREAD

Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Oven/cooling time: 90 minutes
Time to table: Overnight
Serves 16

Preheat oven to 350F.

1/2 cup vegetable oil (reduced from 3/4 cup)
1 cup sugar (reduced from 2 cups)
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini (increased from 1 1/2 cups, 2 cups was the yield from a 3/4-pound zucchini)
1 cup canned pumpkin puree

2 cups whole wheat flour (changed from all-purpose; next time try 50:50 whole wheat:all-purpose or perhaps whole wheat pastry flour)
1 tablespoon cinnamon (increased from 1 teaspoon, bumps up the flavor)
2 teaspoons nutmeg (an addition, adds nuttiness in the background)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (increased from 1/4 teaspoon, again, heightens flavor)

Optional: toasted walnuts, currants or raisins, lemon zest

In a large bowl, combine the oil and sugar with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until mixture turns lemony yellow and almost syrupy. Add the zucchini and pumpkin and beat until completely incorporated (that's because from here on, you want to mix only enough to incorporate the dry ingredients, if there's too much beating, the bread will develop holes).

Combine the remaining ingredients. (My dish-saving-not-exactly-standard-but-it-works-technique is to combine the dry ingredients on top of the batter, stirring them around with a spoon to combine quite well but without incorporating into the wet batter.) Combine dry ingredients into the wet batter, beating only until just combined. Stir in, preferably with a spoon so not to overbeat, nuts, currants, etc.

Transfer to a greased bread pan and bake for 1 hour. Insert a knife into the center, if it comes out clean the bread is done, if it doesn't, bake for another 5 minutes at a time until the knife does come out clean. With my oven, my pan, my ingredients -- versus yours -- 80 minutes of baking time was needed.

Let cool for 15 minutes. Turn onto a rack and let cool completely. Wrap in foil and let rest at room temperature for flavors to meld overnight or for about 8 hours.





© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2005


9 comments:

I was quite doubtful to try this recipe, as the spices are called for in amounts far beyond any other similar recipe that I have. This Zucchini Pumpkin bread is amazing. So flavorful! I went through all my other similar recipes and threw them out after tasting this one. I added a 1/2 tsp of ginger, which I thought added pizzaz on top of the amazing flavor. -Stephanie Morro Bay, CA

No namby pamby spices around here, baby! So glad it worked for you! Love the inspired addition of the ginger.

Great recipe! I made a few changes...didn't have quite enough zucchini, so I added 2 grated carrots, and I was out of veggie oil, so I substituted coconut milk (and then added a little grated coconut to the dry ingredients to boost up that flavor). I also ran out of sugar (guess my pantry was a little understocked that day) and substituted agave syrup for the last few tablespoons. The result was AMAZING. So moist, with a rich sweetness. I will definitely make it again...might even try the "real" version sometime!

Aiii, Darby, lucky break because that's a lot of changes for a recipe! So glad it worked out well, your instincts (and your pantry) to the rescue!) Thanks for taking the time to let me know ...

I made these as muffins and you're right about the wow factor the next day. The first day they just tasted too sweet but by Day 2 there was a lovely spicey-ness about them.
Thanks for the recipe!

This is indeed better the next day!What a super moist bread!I followed all your suggestions and my 9 month old loved it!

I am dying to try this recipe out, but I don't have whole wheat flour. When using unbleached flour, should I still use the same quantity? Thanks!

Angie - the original recipe called for all-purpose flour so you should be in good stead using the same amount. Let me know how it goes!

Delicious - thanks for posting. I made just as you suggested (but stuck with the 100% whole wheat flour because that's what I had). I thought it was yummy right out of the oven too, by the way.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna