Day 246: Warm Pepper Salad ♥

Okay so for yesterday's Swagman Stew I tried anchovies -- an anchovy paste, to be precise -- for the very first time and could hardly tell they existed.

So today I decided to live daringly and eat real, live (well, not LIVE) anchovies. I fully expected (already half-writing the post in my head) that the entire dish would be so awful it'd go straight into the rubbish.

Instead -- oh my oh my oh my. This warm pepper salad is so unusual, so delicious, so, well, un-fishy. And all for 10 minutes hands-on and 30 minutes in the oven. Who can beat THAT?

I suspect you're going to feel reluctant about this, the anchovies and all. Here's what I suggest. Make it once, using only the anchovy oil. If you like it -- and I think you will, no fishiness, remember?! -- then make it another time, using the anchovies themselves and the anchovy oil.

For other recipes using anchovies, check the Recipe Box. Oh wait, there ARE no other recipes using anchovies in the Recipe Box. (Update: Yes there are! See all the recipes with anchovies!)

WARM PEPPER SALAD
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Time to table: 40 minutes (or can be made ahead to serve at room temperature)
Serves 4


1 pound frozen roasted red and yellow peppers (from Trader Joe's)
3 teaspoons garlic (accidentally forgot this, think it would further add)
2 ounces anchovies, oil left in tin, chopped fine
3 tablespoons capers
Dried Italian seasoning
Oil from the anchovies
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly spray a quiche pan or other low-sided baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange still-frozen peppers in a single layer (save the rest for a second layer) and with an equivalent amount of the anchovies and capers. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Arrange the second layer over top and repeat. Drizzle the anchovy oil over the peppers. Season to taste. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve immediately or let cool to room temperature. Either way, enjoy!

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
Per Serving: 77 Cal (17% from Fat, 29% from Protein, 54% from Carb); 6 g Protein; 2 g Tot Fat; 0 g Sat Fat; 11 g Carb; 2 g Fiber; NetCarb 9; 51 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 725 mg Sodium; 12 mg Cholesterol, Weight Watchers 1 points

CREDIT WHERE CREDIT'S DUE
Adapted from Mark Bittman's "The Best Recipes in the World"

Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. This one looks great - think I might add it to our Christmas Eve Antipasto Platter. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! I have a bag of roasted bell peppers that I froze last month and now I know what to make with them! I can just imagine this with a side of pasta - oh my!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make something similar from fresh peppers (oven- or grill-roasted, charred, and peeled) but I leave out the Italian seasoning (not necessary), arrange on a platter topped with anchovies and garlic, and sprinkle with goat cheese (or feta). A more substantial appetizer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna