Day 267: Quick Leftover Beef Salad

Smart home cooks keep a special book of magic tricks for dealing with leftovers.

This qualifies!

While I wouldn't 'plan' it for supper, it's a great way to use leftover beef (as tonight) or something firm-textured like pork that can stand up to the strong-flavored sauce.

I've been hanging out with Sweetnicks for a couple days so it's no surprise that the inspiration for this comes from her too.

Like all leftover creations, however, it became my own based on what was in the frig and pantry. There's more Leftover Magic in the Recipe Box.

QUICK LEFTOVER BEEF SALAD
Bookmark or print this recipe only
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Time to table: 20 minutes
Serves -- it depends! but the quantities below were good for two


SAUCE (enough for about 8 ounces of meat and the vegetables/fruit below)
1/4 cup black bean sauce (Sweetnicks used fish sauce, I was sure I had some!)
Juice from 2 limes
A teaspoon of sugar (this didn't seem to add much in my version, I'd skip it)

SALAD BASICS
8 ounces cooked roast beef, in bite-size pieces
Green onion (I used the 2 on hand, more would have been better)
Shallot (I skipped it though)
Diced cucumber (I used half an English cucumber, it was perfect)
Chopped celery (good crunch)

SALAD - THE ADDITIONS
Diced tomato (I skipped this)
An avocado (my addition, it was good!)
A clementine (in small pieces, an excellent addition! two would have been better)
Whatever's on hand that sounds good!

Stir together the sauce ingredients. Add the salad basics and any additions. Arrange over greens, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve and enjoy!

ROUGH NUTRITION ESTIMATE
(Includes sauce and salad basics, serving 2) Per Serving: 401 Cal (51% from Fat, 36% from Protein, 14% from Carb); 35 g Protein; 22 g Tot Fat; 8 g Sat Fat; 14 g Carb; 4 g Fiber; NetCarb 10; 63 mg Calcium; 4 mg Iron; 1244 mg Sodium; 99 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 9 (boo!)


(c) Copyright 2006 Kitchen Parade

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna