Day 324: Steamed Broccoli Rabe ♥

Steamed Broccoli Rabe
Meet my new favorite vegetable, broccoli rabe! Not only that, meet my favorite new leafy green!

(It's also called rapini. And yes, I'm fickle about new favorites. First there was poke sallet, then Thai eggplant, fiddlehead ferns, pattypan squash, nopalitos, chayote, daikon and just last week, ridge gourd.)

For a few months now, I've spied broccoli raab everywhere but in the supermarkets I frequent. (Some bloke even asked if I lived in the sticks when I inquired what it looked like, fearing I was just missing it. He was nice about it though and even wrote a great primer.)

Yesterday I trekked to Whole Foods and sure enough, there it was. Today, some beautiful bunches appeared at my local grocery! (It pays to ask: Thank you, Schnucks!)

I cooked up a batch for lunch in just 10 minutes -- nothing more than water and soy sauce and garlic and salt and pepper. It was delicious! The greens themselves are quite tender and have a delicate essence of, ummm, mustard maybe? The little broccoli heads are sweet and buttery, just delicious. And I venture that even those who find greens too gritty and well, too green, just might like broccoli rabe.

So in March, I'm gonna cook up some broccoli rabe greens! And ... I invite YOU to join in too any time during the month, just like we cooked fennel in February. You can cook OR pull from your archives -- either one's appreciated! If you don't have a blog but do have a favorite recipe, just leave it in a comment. There's already a running round-up to collect our endeavors. Join in any time!

Want some reasons why, other than delicious? A whole serving (from about a quarter pound) has only 40 calories, no fat, just 2 grams of net carbs, 50% of a day's Vitamin C requirement, 20% of Vitamin A and 15% of calcium. Oh and it's cheap -- a pound was $1.69 today. Oh and did I mention already how good it tastes???

RECIPE for STEAMED BROCCOLI RABE

Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Time to table: 10 minutes
Serves 4

1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon low-salt soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, sliced (I even used real garlic, people!)
1 bunch broccoli rabe, rinsed well, thickest stems removed (those in the picture were more tender enough to eat)
Salt and pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste

Bring the water, soy sauce and garlic to boil in a large skillet. (This happened quickly enough there was barely time to wash and trim the greens so plan accordingly.) Add the greens, cover and let cook for 2 minutes. Remove the cover and continue to cook until the liquid's gone and the greens are as tender as desired. Season and enjoy!




© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2006


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna