Easy Easy Radish Spread ♥

Easy-Easy Radish Spread, just radishes, green onion and cream cheese. Creamy with a little bit of radish heat!
Today's easy vegetable appetizer recipe: Just radishes, a little green onion and cream cheese, a great mix of heat and creaminess, easy to spread on crackers or sandwiches, toss with steamed vegetables, gobble by the spoonful! Weight Watchers Friendly, just WW 2 PointsPlus. Low Cal. Low Carb. Gluten Free. Vegetarian.

~recipe tweaked & photo updated in 2014~
~more recently updated recipes~

You can never have enough easy appetizers in the recipe box! This one's a winner, all around! Easy. Fast. Cheap. A tad unusual. On-hand ingredients. Delicious. Did I say I like it? At first, I followed the lead of the food blog Beyond Salmon except to use neufchatel, the lower-fat cream cheese. But I've also made Easy-Easy Radish Spread to have experimented with different ways to make it.

TEXTURE CHOICES There are two ways to make this, with quite different results.
MORE RADISH-Y I love this one's texture! Just grate the radishes on large holes of a box grater, the one you use for grating cheese. Here you can get away with less cream cheese, a mere four ounces.
MORE CHEESE-Y This one's wonderful too and is easier to spread, a much finer texture. You do use more cream cheese, a full eight ounces.

RECIPE for EASY-EASY RADISH SPREAD

Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Time to table: 10 minutes

VERSION 1: MORE RADISH-Y
8 ounces trimmed red radishes, about 10 radishes
3 green onions, white and green parts, cut into 1-inch lengths
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
Salt & pepper to taste

Grate the radishes on the large holes of a box grater, throwing the ends into a mini food processor. Chop the radish ends and the green onions in the food processor until finely ground. In a bowl, stir together the grated radishes, processed green onions, cream cheese and salt and pepper. Makes about 1-1/3 cups.

VERSION 2: MORE CREAM CHEESE-Y
8 ounces trimmed red radishes, about 10 radishes
3 green onions, white and green parts, cut into 1-inch lengths
8 ounces Neufchatel lower-fat cream cheese, room temperature
Salt & pepper to taste

Process the radishes and green onions in a food processor until finely grated. Add the cream cheese and finish processing until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Makes about 2 cups.

ALANNA's TIPS & KITCHEN NOTES
Fresh radishes with radish greens are more expensive than bags of radishes but they also taste fresher. To my taste, they're worth the extra expense.
Full-fat cream cheese works here but so does my personal preference, Neufchatel, the lower-fat cream cheese. I'm not a fan of the non-fat versions of cream cheese and avoid them.



A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic



Still Hungry?


MORE FAVORITE EASY VEGETABLE APPETIZER RECIPES
~ Beet Pesto ~
~ Tuna & White Bean Dip ~
~ Cheesy Artichoke Nibblers ~
~ more appetizer recipes ~
from A Veggie Venture

~ Spinach Puffs ~
~ Bacon-Wrapped Dried Apricots ~
~ Easy Shrimp Bites ~
~ more appetizer recipes ~
from Kitchen Parade, my food column

A Veggie Venture is home of 'veggie evangelist' Alanna Kellogg and the
famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.
© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2006 & 2014



7 comments:

Hi,

I am new to your site but I am loving all the photos and recipes I am seeing. On my to try list is the watercress/basil/mint salad with mangoes.

Have a question about this radish dip though. I know radishes usually taste a bit bitter. With this recipe and the use of cream cheese, does it cut the bitterness of the radish a bit. Just wondering. Thanks for sharing!

jenn

Hi Jenn -- there wasn't the least bit of bitterness with this, just what I would call a tiny radish 'bite'. All the cream cheese tempers the heat. I don't think you'll be disappointed ... and it's SOOO easy, yes?!

I hope you come back often. And don't hesitate to ask questions. Once a new cook said, Should I drain the potatoes before mashing them? Oops!

AK - Thanks for the quick response. I can't wait to try some of the recipes on your website. The oatmeal slump looks very interesting also. I am looking forward to trying many of your recipes. Thanks again.

jenn

yum! i never thought of using radishes in a dip...i usually just end up dipping them!

Oh wow! It's so different, summery, refreshing. I think I'm going to try this one the next time I host my girls' night gals. Thanks!

This looks delicious. I'll definitely have to try it.

This really intrigues me. I saw the nutrition info per serving; however, unless I'm really blind, I couldn't see what amount of dip a serving actually was.


Pat

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna