Cherry Tomato & White Bean Salad ♥

This is one of those summery adapt-as-you-like salads, easy, delicious and a perfect side. I've adapted mine from Simply Recipes. Twas good!

NUTRITION NOTES
  • The original recipe calls for 1/4 cup oil; I used only a tablespoon and didn't feel cheated.
  • On the other hand, Elise's notes said "serves 6 - 8". I was dubious. But the ingredients DO make a generous two cups worth. So at least in my book, yes, it will serve 8 but as a "side" versus a healthy vegetable portion. Be careful, you're going to want more than a portion!
  • This qualifies as a good low-carb salad. Since the portion size is small, there are only 9 net carbs.

NEXT TIME
  • I'll make a full cup of the olive oil, not for the salad, but for tossing with steamed vegetables like here with romano beans. It's glorious!
  • I'll stir in basil rather than cilantro or parsley.
  • And I will definitely follow Elise's advice, which I missed, to let the beans sit a bit in the dressing before stirring in the tomatoes.

FOR THE RECORD Posie's Place is collecting our favorite kitchen gadgets. For this salad, I used two favorites, a microplane for grating piles of airy lemon zest and a lemon press.

CHERRY TOMATO & WHITE BEAN SALAD
See Simply Recipes' inspiration
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Time to table: 35 minutes
Serves 8
Weight Watchers 1 point per serving
NetCarb 9 per serving


OIL
1/4 cup olive oil
1 fresh rosemary sprig, about 3 inches
3 cloves garlic, peeled and flattened with flat of a knife

DRESSING
3 anchovies
[omitted, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan]
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Zest of a lemon
Juice of 2 lemons (4 tablespoons)

SALAD
15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed (cannellini will stand up better than Great Northern)
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered into bite-size pieces
1/4 cup cilantro (Simply Recipes used parsley)
[addition: 1/4 cup feta crumbles]

OIL Heat the oil, rosemary and garlic in a skillet (the larger surface area will help the oil heat evenly, quickly) until the rosemary sizzles. Remove from heat and let rest for 20 minutes for the flavors to meld. Remove the rosemary and discard.
DRESSING Meanwhile, add the anchovies, Parmesan (if using), salt, pepper, salt, lemon zest and juice to an immersion blender or food processor. Add the garlic (taken from the oil after it's rested). Pulse til smooth.
SALAD In a bowl, mix the beans and the dressing, let rest a few minutes. (Stop here if making ahead.) Gently stir in the tomatoes, cilantro, feta and 1 tablespoon (or all) the olive oil.

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
Made with 1 tablespoon oil, Per Serving: 88 Cal (31% from Fat, 19% from Protein, 50% from Carb); 4 g Protein; 3 g Tot Fat; 1 g Sat Fat; 12 g Carb; 3 g Fiber; NetCarb9; 47 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 514 mg Sodium; 5 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 1 point

Made with 1/4 cup oil, Per Serving: 133 Cal (54% from Fat, 13% from Protein, 34% from Carb); 4 g Protein; 8 g Tot Fat; 2 g Sat Fat; 12 g Carb; 3 g Fiber; NetCarb9; 47 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 514 mg Sodium; 5 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 2 points


One more futile attempt at getting Technorati to work:

(c) Copyright 2006 Kitchen Parade

10 comments:

Yes, I loved the sound of this too. I like the idea of adding basil. Also, for anyone following the South Beach Diet, beans are considered a "good" carb, so this would be great for any phase. Yum.

I like to throw in a little avocado on my white bean salad. Adds fat, what it's SO worth it! (Thanks for your post on Dogtown Diary. I've added you to my blog roll.)

My husband was planning on making a sausage-tomato sauce for dinner tonight. He usually does pasta, and I go for spinach... but I may add this lovely and very appropriate salad to my usual bowl o' spinach!

There's nothing like a good bean salad. So yummy and so easy! This looks muy delicioso, Alanna.

Hi Alanna - So glad you made the salad! I think the anchovies are key. You can't discern them as an anchovy taste, but they really add a lot to the overall flavor of the salad.

Kalyn ~ thanks for the tip on beans being "good carbs", as such a long-time South Beacher, you'd know!

Jan ~ I look forward to more veggie posts at Dogtown Diary!

S'kat ~ This would pair beautifully with a bowl o' spin'!

Karina ~ Delicioso, indeed. Thank Elise!

Elise ~ There you are, I do thank you! Yes the anchovies are key. And you're right, they're sneaky little devils, taste-wise staying way in the background but still managing to create a depth and complexity of flavor that comes from nothing else.

it looks amazing, and yes, i do want more than a portion.

My child doesn't get enough veggies. (Is she the only kid in the world like this?) She does like tomatoes, so I will try this 'salad' on her. I bet she goes for it!!!
Ann dg

i made this last night and it was SO yummy!! my boyfriend, the meat eater, even loved it! we had some good Jersey corn on the cob as well, perfect summer sunday dish.

Hi Randi ~ What a great summer meal! Thanks so much for taking a moment to let me know!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna