- The original recipe calls for 1/4 cup oil; I used only a tablespoon and didn't feel cheated.
- On the other hand, Elise's notes said "serves 6 - 8". I was dubious. But the ingredients DO make a generous two cups worth. So at least in my book, yes, it will serve 8 but as a "side" versus a healthy vegetable portion. Be careful, you're going to want more than a portion!
- This qualifies as a good low-carb salad. Since the portion size is small, there are only 9 net carbs.
- I'll make a full cup of the olive oil, not for the salad, but for tossing with steamed vegetables like here with romano beans. It's glorious!
- And I will definitely follow Elise's advice, which I missed, to let the beans sit a bit in the dressing before stirring in the tomatoes.
FOR THE RECORD Posie's Place is collecting our favorite kitchen gadgets. For this salad, I used two favorites, a microplane for grating piles of airy lemon zest and a lemon press.
CHERRY TOMATO & WHITE BEAN SALAD
See Simply Recipes' inspiration
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Time to table: 35 minutes
Weight Watchers 1 point per serving
NetCarb 9 per serving
1/4 cup olive oil
1 fresh rosemary sprig, about 3 inches
3 cloves garlic, peeled and flattened with flat of a knife
[omitted, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan]
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Zest of a lemon
Juice of 2 lemons (4 tablespoons)
15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed (cannellini will stand up better than Great Northern)
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered into bite-size pieces
1/4 cup cilantro (Simply Recipes used parsley)
[addition: 1/4 cup feta crumbles]
OIL Heat the oil, rosemary and garlic in a skillet (the larger surface area will help the oil heat evenly, quickly) until the rosemary sizzles. Remove from heat and let rest for 20 minutes for the flavors to meld. Remove the rosemary and discard.
DRESSING Meanwhile, add the anchovies, Parmesan (if using), salt, pepper, salt, lemon zest and juice to an immersion blender or food processor. Add the garlic (taken from the oil after it's rested). Pulse til smooth.
SALAD In a bowl, mix the beans and the dressing, let rest a few minutes. (Stop here if making ahead.) Gently stir in the tomatoes, cilantro, feta and 1 tablespoon (or all) the olive oil.
Made with 1 tablespoon oil, Per Serving: 88 Cal (31% from Fat, 19% from Protein, 50% from Carb); 4 g Protein; 3 g Tot Fat; 1 g Sat Fat; 12 g Carb; 3 g Fiber; NetCarb9; 47 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 514 mg Sodium; 5 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 1 point
Made with 1/4 cup oil, Per Serving: 133 Cal (54% from Fat, 13% from Protein, 34% from Carb); 4 g Protein; 8 g Tot Fat; 2 g Sat Fat; 12 g Carb; 3 g Fiber; NetCarb9; 47 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 514 mg Sodium; 5 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 2 points
One more futile attempt at getting Technorati to work: Favourite Kitchen Gadgets