Comfort Food: Reuben Casserole ♥ Recipe

Reuben Casserole, great for leftover corned beef, easy & very tasty.
Today's easy casserole recipe for St. Patrick's Day or afterward to use up leftover corned beef, a reuben sandwich, deconstructed in casserole form using corned beef, sauerkraut and Swiss cheese.

~first posted 2008, recipe & photo updated & reposted 2014~
~more recently updated recipes~

2008: When the butcher asked if I wanted the "big" piece of Kobe corned beef for our St. Patrick's Day feast, I was sure a "small" one would be plenty. "Are you sure?" he encouraged. "It's really good." So I charged ahead, "Sure, a big one, it is." Good advice, good decision. The Kobe beef was spectacular, moist and meaty and fork tender in my long-time favorite Corned Beef & Cabbage. The only downside to lots of meat turns out to pure upside: great leftovers. This casserole, it's a keeper. [Note to Vegetarians]

2014: Thanks, Pinterest! This recipe pops up on Pinterest often, thanks for the reminder! It's so easy to throw together, just a handful of ingredients. It made for a nice light supper and with just the two of us, was finished off in grilled sandwiches. Wonderful!

COMPLIMENTS!
"[With cream cheese for an appetizer ...] it's exceptional." ~ Diana

REUBEN CASSEROLE

Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Time to table: 45 minutes
Serves 4 as main dish, 8 as side dish

16 - 32 ounces good sauerkraut (typically, this means from a jar or bag from the refrigerated section) rinsed, drained and squeezed (see ALANNA's TIPS)
8 ounces cooked corned beef, diced
2 tablespoons grated onion
8 ounces Swiss cheese, grated
1/2 - 1 cup light Thousand Island dressing (see ALANNA's TIPS)
Pepper to taste

Heat oven to 350F. Spray an 8x8 or 9x9 or pie dish with cooking spray. Mix all ingredients. Arrange in dish and bake for about 30 minutes.

LEFTOVERS Leftover casserole makes a mean grilled-cheese sandwich. Another reader adds cream cheese and serves it as a spread at parties, great idea!

ALANNA's TIPS & KITCHEN NOTES
(2008 & 2014) Both times, I've used my own Homemade 1000 Island dressing. Bottled dressing will work just as well but if it were me, I'd thin it with milk before using it.
(2014) WHO KNEW? A 32-ounce jar of sauerkraut yields only 16 ounces of useable sauerkraut! I suspect when I made this in 2007 that I bought a 16-ounce bag of sauerkraut and so my casserole contained only 8 ounces. It also explains why in 2007 I used only a half-cup of Thousand Island Dressing where in 2014, with double the sauerkraut, I needed a full cup.
(2008) I might cook some egg noodles or add some caraway or spinach or top it all with mashed potatoes. It's a casserole: it's flexible!
(2014) A reader suggests topping the casserole with buttered rye bread crumbs: brilliant!



A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic



Still Hungry?


MORE SAUERKRAUT RECIPES
~ more sauerkraut recipes ~
~ more casserole recipes ~
from A Veggie Venture

~ New-Fashioned Sauerkraut Salad ~
~ Ribs & Sauerkraut for Slow Cooker or Dutch Oven ~
~ Thick Chops with Sauerkraut ~
~ more sauerkraut recipes ~
from Kitchen Parade

MORE St PATRICK'S DAY RECIPES
~ Caraway Corned Beef ~
~ Emerald Isle Stew ~
~ Whole Wheat Soda Bread ~
~ more St Patrick's Day recipes ~
from Kitchen Parade

Eat more vegetables! A Veggie Venture is the home of Veggie Evangelist Alanna Kellogg and is the award-winning source of free vegetable recipes, quick, easy, and yes, delicious. Start with the Alphabet of Vegetables or dive into all the Weight Watchers vegetable recipes or all the low carb vegetable recipes. © Copyright 2008 & 2014

8 comments:

Wow that looks really good. Cabbage is so good for us we can all use more cabbage in our diet.

Happy St. Patricks Day!

Whenever I make corned beef (and it's not too often), I hope for leftovers. My favorite way to use them is in hash, but this casserole looks delicious and I will absolutely try it. The couple of days after St. Patrick's Day are a great time to pick up corned beef on sale in the supermarket, for those who don't want to corn their own.

Mmmmm...how creative. I would have never in a million years thought this one up. I'll have ot give it a try!

Now that is really looking good and I love your attitude that it's a casserole and open to playing around!

Sounds amazing---a new spin and easy enough.

LOVE your column and the wonderful ideas it brings..SARAH

I wanted you to know, by adding some cream cheese to your recipe, it makes a great appetizer for parties. It's exceptional. I'm going to give your casserole a try ... I love corned beef and cabbage.

Iam thinking this needs some toasted ,buttered rye bread cubes (croutons) on top.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna