Weight Watchers Mexican Zero Points Soup Recipe ♥

Today's Weight Watchers recipe: The new Weight Watchers zero points soup recipe, the 'Mexican' soup. Delicious broth with lots of vegetables and some underlying heat. Low carb.

One of three brand-new Zero Point soup recipes from Weight Watchers - I bet it's famous soon!A reader tipped me off that Weight Watchers UK just introduced three brand-new recipes for new Zero Point soups. Being such a fan of the original Weight Watchers Zero Points Garden Vegetable Soup, I couldn't wait to try them! The only question was, which new soup recipe to make first? Asian? Italian? Mexican?

A few of the Mexican-inspired recipe's ingredients were already on hand, so Mexican it was. And good news: this new soup recipe is a great soup for people who follow Weight Watchers. But it's also a great vegetable soup overall -- definitely a keeper.

The positives: It's packed with both vegetables and flavor - no wan blandness here. It tastes like it has far more calories than it does. The negatives: Some ingredients might not be easy to find everywhere. It does require lots of chopping. But if you like soup made from fresh vegetables, yay -- add this recipe to your "try soon" pile.

UPDATE: Do try the Asian Zero Point Weight Watchers soup too. Variety is good!

WEIGHT WATCHERS MEXICAN ZERO POINTS SOUP

See Weight Watchers' inspiring recipe
Hands-on time: 40 minutes
Time to table: 1 hour
Makes 12 cups

6 cups vegetable broth (I used 6 cups water and Better Than Bouillon)
14 ounces canned diced tomato, Mexican-style preferred
2 cups fresh green beans (start with 8 ounces, then trim and snap into bite-size pieces)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 small zucchini (about 8 ounces before trimming)
1 cup tomatillo, cubed (start with about 4 ounces or 2 medium tomatillos)
1/2 medium poblano chili pepper, chopped
1 medium jalapeño, membranes and seeds removed, minced (I used several rings of homemade pickled jalapeños)
1 medium red or yellow (Spanish) onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon fresh oregano (I used 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano)
2 roasted red peppers packed in water (I used these jarred peppers from Zergut)
1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (these are found in small cans in the 'Mexican' section and boy, and be careful, they are hot!!!! I used only a scant teaspoon)
Salt to taste (Weight Watchers says 3/4 teaspoon 'salt', I used a good couple of teaspoons of kosher salt)
2 tablespoons lime juice (from 2 limes)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

OPTIONAL BUT TIME-SAVING TIP Bring the vegetable broth (or water for bouillon) to a boil in an electric tea kettle or in the microwave while prepping the vegetables.

Heat a large pot or Dutch oven on MEDIUM HIGH. Add the vegetables and spices (canned tomatoes through as oregano) as they're prepped. Add the broth when it's ready. Whiz the red peppers and chipotle pepper in a mini food processor and stir in. (I love mine that came with an immersion blender. Could you skip this step? Yes but do make sure to mash the chipotle pepper to distribute as finely as possible throughout the soup.) Cover and bring to a boil. (Because I used boiling water, the soup was just starting to boil when I added the last ingredients.) Once at a boil, partly uncover the soup, reduce the heat to maintain a slow simmer and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in salt, lime juice and cilantro. Serve immediately.


KITCHEN NOTES
Call me surprised when the raw poblano pepper and raw onion cooked up into something delicious so quickly. Seriously, all these raw vegetables just cook to the perfect tenderness -- great work on the part of recipe developer Ronne Freedman!
The soup's heat does seem to moderate by Day Two.
This recipe makes me realize that A Veggie Venture's many one-point soup recipes can easily be converted to zero-point recipes, just by substituting a splash of broth for olive oil when sautéing the onion up front. These recipes might be good alternatives for Weight Watchers followers not excited about chopping vegetables for forty minutes.
A Veggie Venture is my own website packed with nearly recipes, each one featuring vegetables. It is not associated with Weight Watchers - more information.
Many thanks to Cornucopia in my hometown of Kirkwood for lending the placemat for today's photograph. If you love Fiesta Ware, Cornucopia has a huge collection. I just love the colors!

A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic



MORE FAVORITE RECIPES & RESOURCES
~ more Weight Watchers recipes ~
from A Veggie Venture (all vegetable recipes)
~ more Weight Watchers recipes ~
from Kitchen Parade, my food column (all courses)
~ more low-carb recipes ~
from A Veggie Venture (all vegetable recipes)
~ more low-carb recipes ~
from Kitchen Parade
~more soup recipes ~




Eat more vegetables! A Veggie Venture is the home of Veggie Evangelist Alanna Kellogg and is the award-winning source of free vegetable recipes, quick, easy, and yes, delicious. Start with the Alphabet of Vegetables or dive into all the Weight Watchers vegetable recipes or all the low carb vegetable recipes.
© Copyright 2008

22 comments:

I was thinking split pea tonight and now you've given me pause! This soup looks beyond excellent!

Even for those of us who don't use the Weight Watchers point system, this looks like a great soup -- and a great excuse to keep some items in the pantry. We've been having soup for dinner 3-4 nights a week, which really does help with weight loss.

Great. Noticed that the WW home page has the 0 point Asian soup today. It looks great as well.

I just saw this recipe and have to say, I've been doing this for years, EXCEPT...I just add a healthy spoonful of my favorite fresh salsa and some cilantro to my bowl. ;-)

OH this sounds GOOD! *THANK YOU!* (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Too expensive for me

I just made this soup recipe tonight, and it was sooo good!!! This one is definitely a keeper.

My daughter and I are watching our weight, while my husband and son are not, so what I will do in the future is heat up corn and blackbeans that the guys can add to their portion. Everyone will be happy that way!

Oh, and good tip about adding just part of the chipotle pepper. I added one teaspoon, as you suggested, and it was plenty hot.

Thanks!

Thanks for the warning on the chipotle. I finally found the cans at the grocery store & while I like hot stuff...wow, 1 Tbs would have been too hot for me!

Thanks for sharing - this is a nice alternative to the usual veggie soup.

Actually, a "spanish onion" is NOT a red onion...it's a "spanish onion"...they are easy to find in the grocery store.

Thank you, Anonymous, for that correction. I've always thought that a red onion was also called a Spanish onion -- until last week, that is, when I saw a recipe from a reliable source and it specified "either a Spanish onion or a red onion". But it wasn't until now that I looked up what a 'Spanish onion' is and it seems to be what I think of as a yellow onion. Does that compute for you?

LOVE IT! I made this tonight and had two bowls for dinner. So filling and delicious I didn't feel the need for anything else. I'm a spicy food nut, so I added a little extra chipotle (gave it the perfect sweat factor). Thank you for sharing this recipe!

I made this last night! I added some tomato sauce and hominy!!! I loved it.. had it for lunch today!!!

I did NOT like the original Garden Vegetable soup, and I so wanted to! I like this much better. I am a big baby about spice, but I followed the directions. Alanna is right - the spices do cool by the second day. I cut the recipe in half, and used a can of green beans instead of fresh. I took the left over jalapeno and poblano and and one of the peppers in adobe sauce and put them in the spice mill, so I can make another batch next week and not get pepper juice on me.

Addendum: I just realize that the pepper that I thought was a poblano was incorrectly labeled - it was a habenero! So, if you aren't sure what a poblano is, Google it before you go. Tip: It's a large green pepper, not a small orange pepper. No wonder the soup is so spicy! I ended up adding some rice and a little cottage cheese to it. Spicy but very yummy!

I'm eating it right now!

I got cocky, and I went a little overboard on my chipotle and adobo. That's not so bad, though, as it slows me down in between bites.

I'm so glad to have found your website. New to weight watchers, and vegan, I think you will be a big help in my upcoming weight-loss venture.

I live in New Mexico where the chili's are hot! I love it hot! This recipe is the best tasting soup I have ever had! I tweaked it a bit. I added black beans and corn instead of the green beans. I plan to prepare it for Thanksgiving! thank you!

Weight Watchers calculator indicates this soup is 1 point not zero.

Hi Anonymous ~ This recipe was first published when WW was first using what we now think of as the "Old Points" system - before PointsPlus. In the old system, the soup WAS calculated at a zero-point soup, now however, the soup is counted as one point. You'll see this in the nutrition information.

Have you tried freezing this? If so, how did it taste when reheated?

JAnderson ~ I haven't frozen this specific soup but do freezer similar vegetable-broth soups. After freezing, the soups are nothing like fresh -- the vegetables' texture changes, the flavors wash out -- but if you have a serving or two leftover that you'd like to save for a few days, no problem.

Adding salsa to this soup, takes it to a whole other level!

Mary ~ That's a great tip, thank you! And thank you, too, for taking the time to write.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna