Spinach Burgers ♥ a Recipe for the Grill

There's a secret ingredient in this burger, would you believe ... spinach?
Today's recipe: A burger made with ground sirloin, ground turkey, frozen spinach and fresh herbs. Moist and delicious grilled burger. Low carb. Weight Watchers 4 points.

Trust me please, that never once would I have imagined a burger recipe -- made with meat, no less (Note to Vegetarians) -- hitting the pixels of A Veggie Venture. But this is not only a good spinach burger, it's one great burger. They were pulled off the grill just last night but I'm rushing them into a post pronto because it's Memorial Day Weekend in the States and heaven knows, there will be plenty of hamburgers hitting the grill here over the next couple of days. If you have the chance, add this burger recipe to your summer grilling menu ...

SPINACH BURGERS

Hands-on time: 15 minutes to mix, plus grill time
Time to table: 90 minutes
Serves 4

10 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted, chopped and squeezed to release liquid
8 ounces lean ground turkey (99% free)
8 ounces lean ground sirloin
2 tablespoons fresh parsley (I intended to use cilantro but completely forgot so I'd call it a 'good idea' but optional)
1 teaspoon minced fresh sage (we've all planted summer herbs, yes? mine are just in but the quantities are so small, snipping was no problem)
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper

Mix all the ingredients, being careful not to overmix the ground meat, work it as little as possible. Shape into four patties. Place on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate for an hour (or more, one hour was good tonight) for flavors to meld. Grill as usual.


KITCHEN NOTES
The spinach doesn't really add flavor but seems to add moisture and volume. Does anyone else find 1/4 pound burgers on the skimpy side: I always want a second burger. This spinach burger, however, was really filling.
The herbs can really be tasted, try not to skip them.


VEGETABLE SANDWICH RECIPES from the ARCHIVES
~ Radish Sandwich, you'll love the simplicity of this ~
~ Farmgirl's Swiss Chard Tuna Salad, another good way to sneak in some greens ~
~ Zucchini Mushroom Hominy Tacos, a favorite from Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless ~

~ more recipes for Sandwiches, Wraps & Tortillas ~
~ more recipes for Grilled Vegetables ~
~ more spinach recipes ~




PRINT JUST A RECIPE! Now you can print a recipe without wasting ink and paper on the header and sidebar. Here's how.




Do you suffer from lachanophobia? Turn to A Veggie Venture and Veggie Evangelist Alanna Kellogg for the best vegetable recipes online. Find a quick recipe for tonight's vegetable in the Alphabet of Vegetables or plan menus with vegetables in every course. If you're a dieter, turn to hundreds of zero-point, one- and two-point Weight Watchers recipes and many low carb recipes.
© Copyright 2008


13 comments:

lovely burgers. I love spinach and haven't cooked it this way yet. I came here through Cynthia´s blog. I am hosting Tried & Tasted event dedicated to cooking from other blogs. This month, we re cooking from Cynthia. Up for the challenge?

I love the combination of beef and turkey -- turkey burgers are often so dry, so the little bit of added fat from the beef is just what's needed. And I've been on a total spinach kick lately, so this will be a must-have for the holiday weekend.

thanks for the timely post! we'll be trying your recipe today or tomorrow!

Anything that has spinach in it like this is a wonder to me. Love the stuff. Great note on it's adding moisture to the burger. Thanks.

Using my WW slider thingy and the nutrition info you provided I get four points with the two grams of fiber. Unless I misread something but still it sounds great and should be yummy. Thanks for the recipe (maybe this is another way to get my carnivore boyfriend eating more veggies

Hi Jasmine ~ Just FYI, the Weight Watchers 'slider thingy' always comes out higher when a recipe is on the verge of moving to a higher point value. I do the actual math so there's no judgment call, 'just the math'.

FYI, too, my question on the nutrition was not the mechanical calculation of the points, it was on my choice of the two meat ingredients from among many many many choices in the USDA databases. The ones I chose seemed reasonable but the end result of 3 points struck me as low.

You can see why I call these 'nutrition estimates'. Still, they're much better than nothing which is all we get from 99% of cookbooks, food magazines and even food blogs.

Thanks for chiming in, I do appreciate it!!

I can't believe I never thought to mix spinach into a burger - what a fantastic idea!

hmm, thanks for the feedback. I know what you mean about a bazillion entries for beef, etc. It is hard to really know for sure which one to choose. I do appreciate the nutritional analysis. It saves me having to enter it in Master Cook software and then finding that the software doesn't recognize certain ingredients.

I can't decide if my current plateau is due to the fact that I should round up more often or that based on the "slider thingy" WW is not letting me eat enough and my body is hording for these lean times. Regardless, new yummy vegetable recipes are always welcome and certainly better than me eating chocolate cookies.

Plateaus are hard. I do know that it was a good six months after first losing weight on Weight Watchers that my body seemed to 'trust' that it was for the long-term. But once it did, what a difference.

My own sense is that the body is most willing to trust intake when the calories and activity it's given are within a tight range, so varying just a few points a day.

Keep with it. Eat lots of vegetables and really enjoy that cookie when you have one.

Good job! Those look tasty and nutritious. Beef and spinach, I can feel the iron. Pairing this burger up with a glass of lemonade or other drink high in vitamin C can increase iron absorption.

I made two versions of this recipe last night: The meat version as it appears here, and a vegetarian version! My husband (the meat eater) thought both versions were tasty and said that he enjoyed the vegetarian ones just as much!
For the vegetarian version I simply substituted thawed out and smooshed Boca Burgers (the "flame broiled" flavor) and two tablespoons light cream cheese (to hold it all together). They turned out moist and delicious! Give it a try!
Seashell

seashell--thanks for the boca burger idea! my daughter and I love them but rarely try them on the grill. This should keep them moist enough. We tried the meat version last weekend, and as I suspected, they were a hit.

I just found your site... great recipes and luv this spinach burger idea.... can't wait to try this...

greetings from Imperial, MO jaci

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna