Homemade Blueberry Vinaigrette ♥ Recipe

Homemade Blueberry Vinaigrette ♥ AVeggieVenture.com, super-simple summer dressing especially good with peaches and goat cheese. Low Carb. Vegan. WW1.
Today's easy-easy summer salad dressing recipe: A simple vinaigrette made with fresh blueberries. Low Carb. Vegan. Very Weight Watchers friendly, just PointsPlus 1.

How easy is this? Just a big handful of blueberries plus the usual suspects for a vinaigrette, olive oil, garlic and vinegar. It tasted so fruity fresh – chalk up another successful entry in the continuing quest to never buy salad dressing again.

Plus, the mix of blueberries and blue cheese and blue peaches – oh wait, that would be just peaches, perfectly ripe – was magnificent.


COMPLIMENTS!
"... it's amazing!" ~ Anonymous

HOMEMADE BLUEBERRY VINAIGRETTE

Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Time to table: 10 minutes
Makes 1/2 cup

1 small clove garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon onion
2 tablespoons good vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons good olive oil
2 tablespoons fruit juice (I used sour cherry)
1/2 cup fresh blueberries

SALAD
Lettuce greens
Fresh blueberries
Fresh peach slices
Blue cheese, goat cheese or feta crumbles
Toasted nuts
Vinaigrette

In a mini food processor, whiz the garlic and onion on their own, first. Then add the vinegar, sugar, olive oil and fruit juice and whiz again. If you're making ahead of time, stop here. Just before serving, add the blueberries and process until smooth.

Serve with lettuce greens topped fresh blueberries, peach slices, cheese crumbles and toasted nuts. So good!

ALANNA's TIPS & KITCHEN NOTES
The inspiring recipe suggests straining the seeds out but I didn't find that necessary.
After resting a few minutes, the dressing becomes quite viscous, almost jelly-like. The first time I made the vinaigrette, I started with just two tablespoons of olive oil but in order to pour it, was forced to add more oil than was needed for (my) taste. The second time I made it, to limit calories and fat grams, I used 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons fruit juice.
For aesthetics, I recommend drizzling the dressing over top since tossing the greens in the dressing creates a muddy look.
I think this dressing would be excellent with fresh cherries too!



A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic



Still Hungry?



MORE FAVORITE HOMEMADE SALAD DRESSING RECIPES

~ Buttermilk Garlic Salad Dressing ~
~ Homemade Thousand Island Dressing ~
~ German Salad Dressing ~
~ more salad dressing recipes ~
from A Veggie Venture

~ Buttermilk Balsamic Dressing ~
~ Orange & Cumin Vinaigrette ~
~ Warm Bacon Dressing ~
~ more salad dressing recipes ~
from Kitchen Parade, my food column

COOKING IN SEASON: THIS SAME WEEK ACROSS THE YEARS

Turkey on Pita with Tomatillo Sauce Veggie Burritos with Cilantro Sauce (< Meatless Monday pick!) Tomato-Tomato Roasted Nopalito Tomatillo Salsa Pepper & Tomato Salad Baked Parmesan Tomatoes Elise's Tomato Gazpacho (< every summer, so good!) OOO Zesty Green Beans Summer Borscht Roasted Baby Eggplant Halves with Herbs Old Liz's Old-Fashioned Cucumber Salad (< Pinterest loves this!) Homemade Blueberry Vinaigrette Tomato Platter with Olives & Feta (< easy + pretty!) Cool-as-a-Cucumber Avocado Soup Chilled Zucchini Soup Shooters

Looking for healthy ways to cook vegetables? A Veggie Venture is home to hundreds of quick, easy and healthful vegetable recipes and the famous Alphabet of Vegetables. Healthy eaters will love the low carb recipes and the Weight Watchers recipes.
© Copyright 2008 & 2015
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. Beautiful and so anti-oxidant rich! Could you substitute agave nectar for the sugar? For me, that would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! And you'll be seeing more of this from me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so fresh and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lydia beat me to it! I bet this would be delicious with agave. Such an unusual vinaigrette flavor- love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to smile when I saw your post because the last time my sister visited me we enjoyed a salad at a restaurant with blueberry salad dressing. When she went home she bugged me to call the restaurant to get their recipe. I called and emailed and got nothing... I am forwarding this great salad dressing to her. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to try this! This looks just beautiful, and blueberries are such a happy find right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alanna, this looks like a fabulous vinaigrette. I love blueberries on salads, and will try this while they are still around. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks quite delicious! I was searching for a recipe for something similar not long ago. I wanted a fruity dressing to sprinkle edible flower petals over. What I came up with was a bit too sweet. I didn't think to add garlic and onion for balance. I think your recipe will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see this is a old post but just wanted to say I was so happy to find this recipe.
    I made it tonight and its amazing! Ever since a restaurant I frequent started serving blueberry vinaigrette as their house dressing I've wanted to have some at home and was never able to find any.
    I happened to goto the restaurant tonight for a girls night only to find they switched chefs and changed the dressing!
    So I came home and made this one for my husbands dinner and its such a close match to the one I love and miss so Thanks so much for posting!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna