Veggies for Kids: Out of the Mouths of Moms

Just today, Meg at Too Many Chefs wrote a thoughtful, tip-packed post about the tricks and tools and triumphs of encouraging her little one to eat more vegetables and fruits. It's worth a close read.

VEGGIES for KIDS is a continuing crusade here at A Veggie Venture, a forum for parents wanting to encourage healthful eating habits at home and school. What works for you? What would you like to fix at your own table? Leave a comment, send an e-mail or write your own post -- ideas and links along with kid-tested recipes will be posted in Veggies for Kids.
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. Hi AK. This probably doesn't count, since it's not my kid, but my neighbor's son (9) will eat anything I make. A few sweets I made convinced him that I am the greatest cook ever (though his parents are both excellent cooks). I've definately gotten him to eat some unusual breads and soups.
    Another good trick is lighting. My brother, a picky eater but certainly no a child, dug into a bunch of collard greens (normally eschewing anything green) when we were seated on a dark outdoor patio at dinner. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neighbors' kids DO count, so 'tip away', Nic. And the lighting idea -- very fun! Alanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link and the kind words! One thing that I have noticed - material I guess for a follow-up post - is that children here in France are MUCH more open-minded about adult foods than children in the UK or the US. To me it seems to be a simple matter of expectation and example: their parents eat sensibly and expect their children to be omnivores too. This includes a lot of vegetables and it's not surprising when you see the markets here. Though I guess it's a case of chicen-or-egg. ; )

    Anyway, as I say, food for thought for another day.

    Thanks again and I'll enjoy browsing your archives for ideas. I feel like I'm far too lazy/conservative when it comes to vegetables though I do try to make them frequently!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna