Day 261: Roasted Brussels Sprouts ♥

Roasted Brussels Sprouts ♥ AVeggieVenture.com, roasted until slightly caramelized. Low Carb. Vegan. Totally delicious! Rave reviews!
How to roast Brussels sprouts in the oven until slightly caramelized. "Pretty good" if you use frozen Brussels but "wonderful" with fresh Brussels sprouts. Low carb. Weight Watchers PointsPlus 2 or 3. Not just vegan, "Vegan Done Real".

WAY BACK IN 2005: TABLE TALK: The Father: [Sniffs. Pokes plate with fork. Stabs a sprout. Takes tiny bite. Speaks with plaintive voice.] "Your mother used to put cheese on these so I would eat them." The Cook: [laughing] " Would eat them? Or could eat them?"

My poor dad. If I'd known about his lack of appreciation for Brussels sprouts, at least I'd have made a batch with a better chance of changing his mind. I've been binge-ing on fresh Brussels sprouts. The only downside is the time required to clean and trim, 15 - 20 minutes per pound. So tonight I tried frozen Brussels sprouts, thawing them for a few hours so they could be cut in half before roasting (this is a good trick!) and then, since I was being sparing anyway, tossed with no oil, just mustard and garlic and malt vinegar.

Did my Dad eat them without cheese? He did. Did he go for seconds? He didn't. But me, I was some impressed by the frozen sprouts and will definitely return to them. The texture is good, the flavor is good, the size is good. The convenience is perfect.

2008 UPDATE: I roasted fresh Brussels sprouts tossed in nothing more than olive oil and salt and pepper – delicious!

IMPORTANT POINT ON TIME & TEMPERATURE FOR ROASTING BRUSSELS SPROUTS If you've ever wondered about how long to roast Brussels sprouts, take heed. So many recipes call for roasting them at 45 minutes at 450F. I've done that – and it's lucky the house didn't burn down for the sprouts burned to nothing. I suspect that the issue is oil: the less oil, the shorter the cooking time, the more oil, the longer food can sustain high heat. For more information about roasting all kinds of vegetables, please check out the ever-popular How to Roast Vegetables.

COMPLIMENTS!
"I used to hate these things when I was a kid. ... [tried fresh Brussels sprouts] and loved them!" ~ Anonymous

OPTION ONE (2005):
ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS using FROZEN BRUSSELS SPROUTS

(recommended for convenience)
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Time to table: 50 minutes
Serves 4

1 tablespoon good mustard
1/2 tablespoon garlic
Splash of malt vinegar
16 ounce bag frozen Brussels sprouts, thawed and halved length-wise
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Whisk the mustard, garlic and vinegar in a medium bowl. Add the Brussels sprouts and stir very well to fully coat. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, turning after 20 minutes.



OPTION TWO (2008):
ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS for FRESH BRUSSELS SPROUTS

(recommended for flavor)
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Time to table: 40 minutes
Serves 4

1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed & halved
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Toss the Brussels sprouts, oil, salt and pepper until all surfaces are coated. (I do this in a bowl with a spatula, otherwise it's hard to really toss these guys with so little oil.) Arrange on a baking sheet cut-side down. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes.



A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic



Still Hungry?



MORE FAVORITE BRUSSELS SPROUTS RECIPES

~ How to Cut Brussels Sprouts with Recipe Suggestions ~
~ Fast Pan-Roasted Brussels Sprouts ~
~ Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad ~
~ more Brussels sprouts recipes ~
from A Veggie Venture

~ Bodacious Brussels Sprouts ~
~ Marinated Brussels Sprouts ~
~ more Brussels sprouts recipes ~
from Kitchen Parade, my food column

© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2005, 2008 & 2015
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. Now I never tried this Brussels sprouts. Must definetely give it a try. I will check the other recipes on the sprouts too, as I am usually at a loss with this veg :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sound really good! I've tried some new Brussels Sprouts recipes this winter, but not one like this - must try it!

    -Gord

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never roasted brussels sprouts, i will now! and I'll try them with mustard. my boys are funny, they'll eat brussels sprouts but not mashed potatoes....i am really loving your site!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favourite way to have sprouts. I have always been a sprout fan but I tried them roasted about a year ago and now I have trouble having them any other way. I think a lot of people that don't like them would like them roasted because it really does mellow out the bitter taste many don't enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking up sprout cooking time and came across your post. I believe that while the oil may be a contributing factor, the difference in cooking time seems to be whether you halve them or leave them whole. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use to hate these things when I was a kid. My husband likes them so I did try option two and loved them! I went to cook them tonight and could not find the recipe so thankfully I found it here. Happy Eating

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna