New Potatoes with Browned Butter ♥

New Potatoes with Browned Butter
A classic potato recipe, so easy and yet so indulgent. It calls for new potatoes -- real out-of-the-groun potatoes, not just the ones called new in the grocery store -- drizzled in butter that's been browned to the point of nuttiness. Just don't burn the butter!

~recipe & photo updated 2011~
~more recently updated recipes~

2006: If memory serves, my mother made potatoes in exactly three ways. Mashed. (Plus leftover mashed fried in patties.) Boiled. (Plus leftover boiled, fried in bacon grease with onion.) And new potatoes tossed in browned butter.

So when my walking-distance farmers market returned with oh-so-tiny new potatoes (imported from who-knows-where since it's at least a couple of months before local potatoes will emerge) I couldn't wait to try this simple but luxuriant dish, served alongside the delicious Roasted Salmon & Asparagus.

NUTRITION NOTES Knowing the era -- and my Mom -- she likely used a half stick (and who knows, perhaps a whole stick) of butter. I was quite happy with just a tablespoon but many palates, I know, would appreciate more.

2011: Once again, a tablespoon of butter was enough. Sure, my dad and I might have drowned ourselves in butter and if truth be told, we did slurp up the last bits of butter in the bowl with our fingers!

RECIPE for NEW POTATOES with BROWNED BUTTER

Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Time to table: 30 minutes
Serves 4

Generously salted water to cover
1 pound new potatoes
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Good 'finishing salt' such as fleur de sel or Maldon
A few snips of chive, dill, rosemary or another herb

Bring the water to boil. Cook the potatoes until a knife slipped into the center removes easily (you want to be able to smash these with an easy press of the fork).

Meanwhile, in a small pan, melt the butter on MEDIUM HIGH. Pay attention -- the butter will move from melting to browned to black (and inedible) in an instant. If your pan is dark (and most are), it will be hard to SEE the change but you will be able to SMELL the change.

Drain the potatoes and return to the hot pan. Toss well with the browned butter until coated. Transfer to warmed serving dish. Sprinkle with salt and chives (or other herb). Serve and enjoy!



A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic





A Veggie Venture is home of potato lover and 'veggie evangelist' Alanna Kellogg and the
famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.
© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2006


Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. I love new potatoes! These look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with karina - great simple way to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some time simple is sublime ... I sure used to eat lots more of the really tiny new potatoes that my farmers market has BEFORE getting educated about carbs, though. I used to keep them on the counter like grapes or cherries. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do look delicious though, in spite of the carbs. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just can't maintain a diet (even though I'm trying for my upcoming nuptials). I could go without bread easily but I couldn't live without pasta and potatoes. This potato recipe looks great and new potatoes are always lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna