Lima Bean Hummus ♥

Who says hummus must be made from garbanzo beans?Hummus is such a favorite quick appetizer. And it's so easy to make homemade hummus!

While hummus is typically made with garbanzo beans -- in fact, last week's Kitchen Parade column includes a recipe for traditional homemade hummus -- it needn't be. This version, inspired by Je Mange la Ville, a lovely food blog based in Portland, Oregon, uses lima beans.

Topped with a little goat cheese and fresh thyme: my book club loved it! And the green color is much welcome compared to the muddy gray of hummus made with garbanzo beans. Aren't those little crostini pretty?

THE HEART OF THE MATTER This is my contribution to an event hosted this month by JoAnna's Food -- and this month featuring, um, yes, vegetables. Hmmm. How hard do you think it was to pick a vegetable recipe to participate in the event? Not too hard, since A Veggie Venture is all vegetable recipes, 100% vegetables and nothing-but-vegetables! But the collection of recipes for the event will be great fun since the northern hemisphere is in the height of summer vegetables and the southern hemisphere cooks are enjoying their wintry finds.



FROM THE ARCHIVES The Recipe Box is full of vegetable recipes and includes a growing collection of appetizers made with vegetables. But believe it or not, this is the first time I've cooked lima beans on A Veggie Venture. I need more lima bean recipes!

TWO YEARS AGO Shredded Zucchini with Thyme ... "This zucchini is good -- very good -- and ever so simple."



PRINT JUST A RECIPE! Now you can print a recipe without wasting ink and paper on the header and sidebar. Here's how.

NEVER MISS A RECIPE! For 'home delivery' of new recipes from A Veggie Venture, sign up here. Once you do, new recipes will be delivered, automatically, straight to your e-mail In Box.

LIMA BEAN HUMMUS

See Je Mange la Ville's inspiring Greek Lima Bean Dip
Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Time to table: 60 minutes
Makes 2 1/2 cups

Salted water to cover
16 ounces frozen lima beans

4 garlic cloves (I used roasted garlic)
Zest of a lemon
Juice of 3 lemons (Michelle uses 2 lemons, I wanted more lemon flavor in front)
1/4 of a white onion, roughly chopped (this was important, Michelle suggests red onion or a sweet Vidalia onion)
2 tablespoons fresh herbs (Michelle used oregano, I used thyme)
1 tablespoon fresh mint
2 tablespoons olive oil (Michelle uses 1/4 cup and hers was more creamy, of course)
Salt & pepper to taste

Cook the lima beans and drain well. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and process til smooth. Serve on crostini with goat cheese and fresh herbs.



A Veggie Venture is home of the Veggie Evangelist Alanna Kellogg and vegetable inspiration from Asparagus to Zucchini. © Copyright 2007
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. Again, Alanna - it looks delicious, and so easy & healthy as well. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool idea! I just had one of those hand-to-forehead moments about hummus - didn't think I'd like it - haven't tried it- but like garbanzo beans, so I'll have to try it. And now I know I can try other beans/spreads, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of making hummus with lima beans, as a matter of fact, it would be good with many other beans. Where I depart from you is "the muddy gray of hummus made with garbanzo beans." :) mine has never been gray so I am not sure what you have been putting in yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 12, 2007

    Thanks Alanna -- this recipe makes me go "mmmmmmmm" for quite a long moment. It actually sounds better to me than hummus. I love the idea of combining lemon, mint and fresh herbs, and with the slightly creamy texture of lima beans, this should be just right. I'm absolutely going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate above recipe that you shared.
    I shared them with family members and friends. They just like it.
    Thank you for sharing and please keep them coming.
    I have shared with everyone here, www.mealigg.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omigosh does this excite me. I'm not a huge fan of regular hummus, so I can't wait to try this one! (Although I've never had lima beans w/o butter and salt ... yum.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a very good recipe. I added paprika and a dash of Tiger Sauce (yum) to mine and went with thyme over oregano and red onion over white. One important recommendation: Cook your limas longer than you typically would for plain eating -- even let them get slightly mushy. It will improve the texture of the hummus greatly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna