Seared Radicchio ♥

Today's quick vegetable recipe: Wedges of radicchio (also called chicory) seared in a hot skillet, then dipped in syrupy vinegar. Low carb. Weight Watchers 1 point.

So earlier, when I mentioned feeling ho-hum about the Italian version of the Weight Watchers zero points soup, since radicchio is expensive, I also suggested skipping it entirely or substituting the less expensive red cabbage.

I take it back! Cooked radicchio is completely gorgeous, an entirely different animal. It is also completely worth (to my taste) an occasional investment. And time-wise, it took all of ten minutes -- yes, ten -- from start to finish with maybe 5 minutes of hands-on time. Talk about quick! And I'm glad to add another good one to the collection of quick vegetable recipes.

In its raw form, radicchio's red cabbage-looking leaves are slightly bitter. (There's a photo of radicchio here, if anyone's inclined.) In its cooked form, the chewiness and bitterness survive, but in a softer, sweeter, completely wonderful way. Wow. It would pair beautifully with meat but I can also see chopping it up to stir into a roasted vegetable salad, say. Did I say Wow?!

But hey - what ELSE am I missing about radicchio? How should it be cooked?



MORE RADICCHIO RECIPES
~ Spring & Summer Sliced Salad ~

~ more radicchio recipes ~


SEARED RADICCHIO

Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Time to table: 10 minutes
Serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 head radicchio (chicory), core trimmed slightly, quartered vertically with core kept intact
Salt & pepper
1/4 cup good vinegar (balsamic would be good, I used a gorgeous zinfandel vinegar from O Olive Oil)

Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet on MEDIUM HIGH until shimmery. Place the quarters, cut side down in the skillet and season with salt and pepper. (Yes the timing seems weird but it works.) Cook for about 3 minutes until beginning to brown, then turn to the other cut side and cook another 3 minutes. Transfer out of the skillet for a minute and add the vinegar. It will bubble up, stir continuously until the liquid cooks out a bit and the vinegar becomes syrupy. Return the wedges to the skillet and drizzle with the vinegar. Season to taste if needed. Serve!




PRINT JUST A RECIPE! Now you can print a recipe without wasting ink and paper on the header and sidebar. Here's how.

NEVER MISS A RECIPE! For 'home delivery' of new recipes from A Veggie Venture, sign up here. Once you do, new recipes will be delivered, automatically, straight to your e-mail In Box.




Looking for healthy ways to cook vegetables? A Veggie Venture is home to hundreds of quick, easy and healthful vegetable recipes and the famous Alphabet of Vegetables. Healthy eaters will love the low carb recipes and the Weight Watchers recipes.
© Copyright 2008

Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. AnonymousJuly 24, 2008

    I remember that my dad once grilled radicchio. It was very good! I think he just brushed it with olive oil and sprinkled on salt and pepper before putting it over the flames.

    I'm sure this would be very similar to searing it with the addition of that lovely grill flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the sound of this. Very interesting how it mellows the flavor. I found that same thing when I cooked radishes; they were almost sweet. I've never been that excited about radicchio either, but I think I need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to saute it with sweet onions and serve it on crostini. It's also great sauteed with pasta or on a grilled veg. sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 25, 2008

    Although I substitute mild salsa for the hot salsa, I like this Raddichio and Black Bean Chili:

    http://www.radicchio.com/recipe/soups/chili.html

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great and radicchio is so good for you. When examined solely for its antioxidant capabilities, radiccio is an antioxidant powerhouse compared to other fruits and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna