Lemon Lovers' Roasted Asparagus ♥

Worthy of the very best asparagus
Today's vegetable recipe: Fresh asparagus roasted with thin slices of lemon. Low carb. Weight Watchers 1 point.

~ recipe updated 2008 ~

2006: This is tactile cook's dream. Just imagine a room already heady with lemon scent, then kneading your hands to roll the fat spears of local asparagus in sweet olive oil and fragrant oregano and thin-sliced slippery lemons and sweet Maldon salt, your fingers emerging sweet and salty and pungent and -- entirely lickable. This is a lovely treatment for asparagus!

NEXT TIME I'll start roasting the lemons first, giving them 5 - 10 minutes head start. And the thinner the slices, the quicker they brown.

NUTRITION NOTES I splurged and used the full 2 tablespoons of olive oil suggested by the inspiring recipe. But about half was left behind in the pan after roasting. So the full 2 tablespoons makes it easier to coat and roast the asparagus but isn't actually consumed -- unless you lick the pan?!

FOR ST LOUISANS This is my first local vegetable of the year! To my mind, the best asparagus in St. Louis comes Scharf Farm in Millstadt, Illinois. There's a farmstand at the farm but I see them nearly every week at Soulard Market. Channel 9's "Living in St Louis" did a terrific feature about Allen and Nancy Scharf and the future of the farm called Scharf Farms (you'll need to scroll down to launch the video).

2008: Aii, so dreamy, these. I did slice the lemons first for roasting a little longer, and put them into the oven for 10 minutes while the oven preheated. This made for extra-crispy and delicious and edible slices but next time I'll put them in for only 5 minutes. In addition, the longer roasting meant the lemons soaked up the extra oil so I've adjusted the nutrition information too.



VEGETABLE RECIPES from the ARCHIVES
~ more asparagus recipes ~
~ more recipes for roasted vegetables ~
check out all the ways to roast asparagus, especially

LEMON LOVERS' ROASTED ASPARAGUS

Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Time to table: 35 minutes
Serves 4

1 pound fat spears of fresh asparagus, woody ends trimmed, skins peeled or striped if you like
2 lemons, sliced very thin
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano, rubbed between fingers to release the herbal oil (or 4 teaspoons fresh)
Sprinke of good salt (Maldon salt is lovely)
Sprinkle of pepper

Preheat oven to 450F. Combine all the ingredients well on a rimmed baking sheet, making sure to completely coat all the spears with oil. If roasting the lemon slices a little longer, put the asparagus spears aside for the moment. Slip just the lemons into the oven for 5 minutes. Roast for 13 - 15 minutes, shaking the pan to toss a couple of times. Turn the lemon slices over halfway through. Serve and enjoy!


KITCHEN NOTES 2008
I've learned to appreciate the idea of peeling asparagus, some times in 'stripes'. It isn't always necessary but it's hard to tell, beforehand, when the skins will be tough and when they'll be tender.
Be sure to save the woody ends for making Asparagus Soup. You can even collect them in the freezer for a few weeks until you have enough.


PRINT JUST A RECIPE! Now you can print a recipe without wasting ink and paper on the header and sidebar. Here's how.

NEVER MISS A RECIPE! For 'home delivery' of new recipes from A Veggie Venture, sign up here. Once you do, new recipes will be delivered, automatically, straight to your e-mail In Box.

© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2006


Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. Oh this was a good one! At least, I really liked it, Andy not so much- a little too lemony for him. I used thyme instead of oregano, but the lemon was definitely the star. I like the idea of roasting up the lemon first, I'll have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, Alanna! I made roasted asparagus last night as well, but a simpler version I had seen at Anne's Food & Pastanjauhantaa - just asparagus, olive oil, sea salt, lemon juice. So I know I'd like your slightly different version, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just made asparagus today, I wish I had seen your blog before I cooked. I sauted the asparagus in a little bit of garlic, salt & pepper in a tsp of olive oil. I will try your recipe tomorrow. Just the thought of lemons baking with the asparagus makes my mouth water

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alanna, this sounds absolutely gorgeous! I love roasted asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Maldon sea salt. It really does work wonders with vegetables. The idea of roasting the lemon slices with the asparagus is genius. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna