Green Bean & Radish Salad

Green Bean & Radish Salad, another colorful summer salad ♥ AVeggieVenture.com.
Such beautiful color, yes?! The bright green of beans plus the pretty pink of radishes makes for a colorful summer salad, one sure to brighten up your palate and your plate.

Real Food, Fresh & Inventive. Just Five Ingredients! Weeknight Easy, Weekend Special. Beautiful Color. Weight Watchers Friendly. Vegetarian & Easily Shifted to Vegan. Naturally Gluten Free.


New Recipe Inspiration from Saveur

I'm a new Saveur subscriber. And the magazine is growing on me, even if I don't bookmark dozens of recipes. For one thing, issues have only 100 or so pages so there's maybe a couple of dozen recipes total, very manageable.

Numbers-wise, I like that Saveur is heavy on main dishes and vegetables, light on desserts. Food-wise, I appreciate the introductions to a "world of authentic cuisine".

Every issue, there's something that demands attention. In May's issue, it was this simple and oh-so-pretty green bean and radish salad.

To my taste, green beans and radishes turned out ** not ** to be a magical pair. But for color alone, I completely recommend this make-ahead recipe.

SAVEUR UPDATE In 2021, Saveur switched from a print magazine to an all-digital model. It's missed.

BOOKMARK! PIN! SHARE!
How do you save and share favorite recipes? recipes that fit your personal cooking style? a particular recipe your mom or daughter or best friend would just love? If this recipe hits the mark, go ahead, save and share! I'd be honored ...

Green Bean & Radish Salad, another colorful summer salad ♥ AVeggieVenture.com.





RECIPE for GREEN BEAN & RADISH SALAD

Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Time to table: 30 minutes
Serves 6

Generously salted water
1 pound (450g) green beans, ends snapped, snapped into lengths
"Ice water bath" (a big bowl half-filled with ice, then half-filled with cold water)

1 tablespoon olive oil (reduced from 4 tablespoons)
1/2 pound (225g) radishes, ends trimmed, quartered lengthwise
2 cloves garlic
Salt & pepper to taste
Honey to taste (Saveur said 1 tablespoon, I used about 2 tablespoons)

Bring a large pot of generously salted water to boil. Add the beans and let cook 3 - 4 minutes. Drain the beans through a colander and plunge the colander into the ice water bath to stop the beans from further cooking. Lift the colander out of the water bath and drain the beans again.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmery on MEDIUM. Add the beans, radishes and garlic and cook until just soft. Remove from heat. Season to taste with salt, pepper and honey.

MAKE-AHEAD If you make this ahead, be aware that the pretty red radish color washes out after a few hours.

VEGAN For a vegan salad, choose a plant-based sweetener like maple syrup or agave instead of honey.

FOR THE BUDGET-MINDED For me, snapping green beans is an extraordinarily tedious job. I SOOOOO understand why people pay $8 a pound for pre-washed, pre-snapped, perfect lengths of green beans. But then again? It really only takes 8 (yes, still tedious) minutes to snap a pound of $.50-a-pound green beans, I figure that's the equivalent of earning (or saving) $56 an hour. And so, yes, I snap, snap, snap, snap, snap.



A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic






Looking for healthy new ways to cook vegetables? A Veggie Venture is home to hundreds of super-organized quick, easy and healthful vegetable recipes and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables. Join "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg to explore the exciting world of common and not-so-common vegetables, seasonal to staples, savory to sweet, salads to sides, soups to supper, simple to special.

© Copyright Kitchen Parade
2006 & 2022

Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. AnonymousJune 05, 2006

    What beautiful colours! Lovely salad, Alanna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment on my blog. You're right. I was thinking about adding the english title of the recipes, but waiting to see if enough english-speaker people were interested in my blog, and their comments abbout this english access (which measure they prefer, english or amreican ones... ?)Thanks to you, I'll do it, next day.
    Today, I discover your nice blog. I add it to my links, to learn about new ways for cooking vegetables. I notice you write plenty of other blogs. What a work ! See you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're doing that channeling thing again. Yesterday I noticed that radishes were on sale and thought to myself "There's something brightly colored that I haven't posted about for ARF Tuesday." Interesting combination. I will have to check out Saveur. My subscription with Gourmet just ran out and once again I'm disenchanted with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 05, 2006

    Funny, Alanna, I love to snap green beans, so long as I have company to chat with while I do it. Reminds me of lazy summer days as a kid, I guess.

    Radishes are so pretty, but I have yet to find anything magical to do with them. Suggestions, oh veggie evangelist?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Bookworm ... you are opening a can of worms, asking for suggestions!

    I've been tucking chopped radishes into every vegetable salad for the last month, good crunch, a tiny kick, great color. They were so good in summer lentils, the lentils won a prize!

    And awhile back creamed radishes were surprisingly delicious. And I loved last month's
    radish spread.

    How's that for a tasty can of worms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 06, 2006

    I grew up in a Southern family where snapping and shelling beans was a social activity, so that helps. Now, I usually put a television show on if I'm doing a lot of them all by myself. I think the salad looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sher - What a nice vision, the family affair. I remember my Mom sending my sister and me to the front step to shell peas, shuck corn ... a good way to get two little ones out of a small kitchen and still get a job done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna