Recipe for Roasted Kohlrabi ♥

Roasted Kohlrabi ♥ AVeggieVenture.com, simple and delicious. Vegan. Whole30 Friendly. WW Friendly. Gluten Free.
graphic button small size size 10 Today's easy kohlrabi recipe: How to roast kohlrabi, a simple way to cook kohlrabi, just cubed and oven-roasted. Low carb. Weight Watchers Friendly. Not just vegan, Vegan Done Real. Naturally Gluten Free. Whole30 Friendly. And delicious! graphic button small size size 10

Easy. Simple. Healthful. And tastes good! In short, Roasted Kohlrabi is a win-win-win recipe.

Raw Kohlrabi: Like Apples!

Until now, I've only eaten kohlrabi raw, almost like apples except peeled and sliced. Raw kohlrabi is so full of flavor, moisture and most importantly for pre- and post-supper munchies, crunch. Ha! Isn't it funny that my favorite way to eat kohlrabi is paired with apples! You'll love Kohlrabi & Apple Slaw with Creamy Coleslaw Dressing!

First Time to Try Cooking Kohlrabi

So this is the first time I cooked kohlrabi, except for tucking some into this Warm Root Salad with Horseradish Vinaigrette where the kohlrabi flavor was mish-mashed with the other root vegetables.

And drum roll ... Roasted Kohlrabi stays on the Keeper List! I also love to cook the kohlrabi greens (that is, the kohlrabi leaves) like this, I use this recipe for Asian Greens.

What Is Kohlrabi? What Does It Look Like?

Fresh Kohlrabi ready for roasting ♥ AVeggieVenture.com
Back to basics! Kohlrabi (kol-ROB-ee) is a member of the turnip family. Some times it's called "cabbage turnip". Mostly I find kohlrabi with bulbs that are a pretty light green color but I've also seen purple kohlrabi on occasion. What looks like a bulb is actually just an enlarged portion of the stalk. Especially to eat raw, look for small kohlrabi bulbs, about three inches across. At the farmers market, like mine, they'll often still be attached to their greens which you cook like collards, low and slow. If you like broccoli stalks, you'll like kohlrabi!

Roasting Kohlrabi

Most vegetables are quite wonderful roasted. Plus, great news, no "recipe" is required to roast a vegetable, just a few tips tips, you'll love How to Roast Vegetables: 15 Tips & A Master Recipe. Even experienced vegetable roasters might not have tried roasting kohlrabi before. Just look at the compliments: people like it!

COMPLIMENTS!
graphic button small size size 10 "[my husband] must have said at least three times, 'What is this called again? I really like it!'" ~ Kara
graphic button small size size 10 "What a delicious and simple recipe ..." ~ TheBaaBlogger
graphic button small size size 10 "I loved it. It was so good." ~ Anonymous
graphic button small size size 10 "Delicious! Even my 3 year old ate it up ..." ~ KimS
graphic button small size size 10 "It's a winner! Plus, on the glycemic index, it's a lot better for me than potatoes." ~ Anita
graphic button small size size 10 "I should have bought more because we loved the taste." ~ Lucilla
graphic button small size size 10 "delish! thanks for the instructions on such a light, delightful dish!" ~ lortz
graphic button small size size 10 "If you have never tried kohlrabi, give this recipe a try. I loved it." ~ Jan

ROASTED KOHLRABI

Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Time to table: 45 minutes
Serves 4 (smallish servings since roasted vegetables shrink so much)

1 1/2 pounds (675g) fresh kohlrabi, ends trimmed, thick green skin sliced off with a knife, then diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic, optional
Salt
Good vinegar

Set oven to 450F/230C. Toss the diced kohlrabi with olive oil, garlic and salt in a bowl. Spread the kohlrabi evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and put into oven (it needn't be fully preheated) and roast for 30 - 35 minutes, stirring every five minutes after about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with a good vinegar, probably at the table so the kohlrabi doesn't get squishy.

ALANNA'S TIPS & KITCHEN NOTES
BUYING KOHLRABI In my markets, kohlrabi is usually sold in a bunch of two or three bulbs with the greens still attached. In a local international market, the bulbs are sold on their own. I specify buying a pound and a half because after trimming the stems and skins, you'll lose nearly 50% of the weight.
SAVE A DISH! To save a dish, skip the bowl and instead toss the kohlrabi with oil and seasonings right on the baking sheet. I opt for the bowl because you'll use less oil, it's just easier to thoroughly coat the kohlrabi pieces with oil with a bowl and spatula or spoon.
MY FAVORITE PAN FOR ROASTING VEGETABLES If you love roasted vegetables, considering investing in a pan called a "sheet pan" or "rimmed baking sheet". The good news is, the investment is minimal and my favorite sheet pan is a real workhorse for roasting vegetables, baking cookies, etc. If you're interested in more detail and a discussion of different kinds of sheetpans, see Baked Sweet Potatoes.



A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic




A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the
famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2007, 2010, 2017 (repub) & 2019
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. I'm embarrassed to say that I have never cooked kohlrabi, though I have eaten it raw a couple of times. I think almost any vegetable tastes better when it's roasted, don't you???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me. This recipe. Tonight.
    I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a perfect recipe! I love kohlrabi and often eat it raw with a low fat dip. But this really is a fantastic sounding alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Toronto and grew Kohlrabi in my garden.. Kinda by mistake as I grabbed the container thinking it was broccoli! Oops! But it was fun and I roasted it much like teh recipe here and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia ~ Ah please, don't be embarrassed. Our food possibilities are soooo broad, that's before we even think about cooking them. I'm impressed that you've eaten kohlrabi raw!

    Marie ~ Me. You. Now. Pleased!

    Meeta ~ It was fun, yes, especially since it's less perishable than many vegetables.

    Toronto ~ Thanks for the confirmation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grow Kohlrabi every year, we love it that much. Our preferred way to eat it is raw, but I have boiled it (like a turnip) and served it with just a little salt, pepper and lots of butter. Yum! I never thought of roasting it, but I'll give that a try next summer too. Thanks Alanna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loveley recipie and blog! Some veggies are abit more challenging to cook I think. you seem to have managed well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. kohlrabi os one veg that I've not tried. If I can find it at my safeway I'm going to give it a try. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alanna -- Thanks for helping to lift up the disrespected veggies of the world! Hope all is well with you...

    Mindy Toomay
    http://mindycooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have only tried Kohlrabi once...I'd like to try it again...thanks for this idea! I need them!

    Also, thanks for the warm welcome back!

    I posted a Raw soup today

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sally ~ You grow it, I'll cook it!

    Linda ~ Welcome! I do try!

    Evelyn ~ I hope you do! Come back to say how it goes. It's not in the least bit scary.

    Mindy T - Hey there! Disrespected, yes. No more!

    Harmonia ~ I have new respect so yes, do try again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mother cooked kohlrabi by peeling and slicing it and then cooking in salt water until tender. She then added some butter to it and I thought it was yummy. I haven't cooked any in a while; need to look for it at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We joined a CSA, and recieved Kohlrabi and I had NO idea what to do with it! My husband grew up on a farm in Tennessee, and had eaten a lot of veggies in his life, but he had never heard of it either. I made this last night, and he must have said at least three times, "What is this called again? I really like it" YEAH! A kitchen victory!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yippee, another convert! It's always good when the first ones turn out so well. Have you discovered the Alphabet of Vegetables yet? Thanks so much for taking the time to write!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was at a loss when some kohlrabi ended up in my organic grocery delivery. I googled for a recipe and found your blog. What a delicious and simple recipe...I just took it out of the oven:) I charred it a bit b/c I love that extra flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. AnonymousJuly 19, 2008

    What do you mean by good vinegar: white, white wine, apple, red wine, seasoned, balsamic? Devil's in the details. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anonymous,

    It's not so much the kind of vinegar as the quality. A good vinegar is one that isn't harsh, it's almost drinkable on its own. Price is one indication although in my experience, some high-priced vinegars are harsh too. Mostly, it's taste. So sorry, wish I could be more specific. If you've got the typical vinegars in your pantry, I'd pick a white wine over a red wine vinegar, an apple cider vinegar over a white, a sherry vinegar over a balsamic vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  18. thank you so much. i am going to try this tonite, as i have never eaten kohlrabi and i am trying to be more adventuresome (food-wise, anyway) & this sounds like a great intro.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just had kohlrabi (raw) for the first time last week while visiting my mom...I loved it and am looking forward to experimenting with this healthy vegetable. Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Jack Bishop's cookbooks, but I have to say I've never been inspired by kohlrabi. Never tried roasting it though, so I'm glad you shared the recipe. To me, everything is better when it's roasted. Well, or fried .

    ReplyDelete
  21. Turnips are roots; kohlrabi is the swollen stem of a particular type of cabbage (see Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book - an essential for every kitchen). We sometimes use grated kohlrabi instead of white cabbage when we make coleslaw really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Actually 25 minutes was too long...delicious, but I ended up over roasting a few of the diced pieces. Used it as a garnish over stir fried shrimp and shitake mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  23. AnonymousJune 29, 2011

    Actually, kohlrabi is MUCH more related to kale, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens, and brussel sprouts. (Since they are all the same species, Brassica oleracea).

    Turnips are a different species all together (Brassica rapa), which also includes canola and rapini.

    ReplyDelete
  24. AnonymousJune 29, 2011

    Unlike a lot of the posters here, I grew up growing and eating kohlrabi. My mother planted it every year, but she couldn't bring herself to thin the rows so it was up to me to thin them and keep the bugs off. We always ate it raw. This year I did something different, I started it inside (both white and purple kohlrabi) like cabbage and broccoli, and transplanted it out in the spring. I had WONDERFUL kohlrabi, and since it was the only thing the rabbits ignored this spring, I've harvested some of the biggest, best tasting kohlrabi I've ever eaten. Tomorrow night I'm definitely going to roast it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have had kohlrabi as a kid (the green skinned).
    Now as an adult i grow my own and i grow the purple skinned kind. I have read that you can eat the leaves and have done so with a lemon vinagrette (like a salad). I get to grow it twice a season in NY and only problem i have is with cutworms. but i grow alot to cover any loss. Holds up to 1 month in the vedgie crisper in fridge. Im always looking for new ideas to cook it since i eat more of it raw not cooked.
    I will try your recp tonight. sounds good and thanks for the advise on what vinager to use.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We are a family of 4, 2 kids. I saw this funky veg. in my local fruit store. Never dare to buy it. Today, I finally find some courage to try it. Raw is not our thing, because I have to young kids. I find your web site at google. I loved it. It was so good. Thank you so much to let me explore new veg.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Does kholrabi have a specific flavour or does it take on the flavours it is cooked with.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous ~ Kohlrabi does have its own flavor but it's mild and is easily overwhelmed by the flavors of other foods. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Made this roasted kohlrabi recipe last night! Delicious! Even my 3 year old ate it up after I sprinkled a little shredded pecorino romano cheese on top. A perfect alternative to roasted potatoes too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  30. AnonymousJune 03, 2012

    Made this recipe this evening from kohlrabi I grew from the garden. Ended up cooking it with some of our garlic scapes that were coming in. Turned out tasty but either the temperature is too high or the time is too long b/c min were done and a little burnt at 25 minutes. I ended up turning it down to 400 at 20 minutes but they were still overdone. Maybe I diced them smaller than I should have.

    ReplyDelete
  31. AnonymousJune 17, 2012

    Good recipe. But it's a cabbage, not a turnip. Turnip is a different species.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've eaten kohlrabi raw in a salad with fennel (olive oil, lemon juice and salt), but this was the first I tried it roasted. It's a winner! Plus, on the glycemic index, it's a lot better for me than potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Never tried Kohlrabi before, but it was in my CSA box. I really liked this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Found this recipe after buying kohlrabi for the first time at the organic market in San Juan Puerto Rico. I had hear about this vegetable and when I finally found some locally, decided to buy one bulb. I should have bought more because we loved the taste. Thanks for writing up this simple recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  35. made this tonight. delish! thanks for the instructions on such a light, delightful dish!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Making this now as a side dish for Thanksgiving :] Will reply to tell you how it came out!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  42. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  43. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  44. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  45. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  47. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  48. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  49. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Silce kohlrabi,wrap in aluminum foil with a couple pads of butter,salt and pepper and grill. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  51. If you have never tried kohlrabi, give this recipe a try. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I never ate kohlrabi until I started to get it from my CSA- I use in soup instead of potatoes and it imparts a lovely flavor

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna