Quick Salad: Celeriac Slaw ♥

What grace a benriner delivers!Talk about a serendipity salad! This simple salad made from raw celeriac is delicious!

At Soulard Market, the local offerings are slim at the moment, thanks to four days of very hard-freeze in April. To make their trips worthwhile, Soulard's real farmers are adding imported produce to their own limited supplies (unlike the Market's many produce vendors who sell only outside produce year-round).

Kruse Gardens is one of my favorite stops at Soulard, a regular source of organic, locally grown and unusual vegetables in St. Louis. I really enjoy Earl and Arlene (whose 50th wedding anniversary I was happy to share last year!) and son Steve, who for 13 years has greeted me with a big smile. And I'm struck by how different the Kruse's add-ons are different from the produce vendors' regular fare.

Take big knobs of celeriac. (Yes, you'll want to! Grab one now!) They're fat and plump and alive-looking, despite their rough, knobby exterior -- compared to the celeriac at the grocery that always seem dry and shriveled and entirely unappetizing. So I picked one up, not sure what to do with it. By the time supper arrived, I had about 15 minutes to spare so decided to pull out the benriner.

Amazing -- a celeriac slaw! And sooo simple. Just the celeriac, lime juice and/or good vinegar, a little oil, sugar, salt and pepper. I can see why people like 'raw' food.



FROM THE ARCHIVES See the Recipe Box for other recipes and ideas for what to do with celeriac. There's only one recipe at the moment, but given this slaw, there will soon be more!

TWO YEARS AGO Asparagus Jam ... "good along roast pork or some other rich meat where the sweetness would contrast richness", from Chocolate & Zucchini!



PRINT JUST A RECIPE! Now you can print a recipe without wasting ink and paper on the header and sidebar. Here's how.

NEVER MISS A RECIPE! Just enter your e-mail address in the box in the sidebar. Once you do, new recipes will be delivered, automatically, straight to your e-mail In Box.

CELERIAC SLAW

Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Time to table: 10 minutes
Serves 4

1 pound celeriac / celery knob / celery root
Juice of a lime (the zest would be good, too)
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil (use the good stuff for this)
Sugar to taste (I used about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
Salt & pepper to taste
Leaves from celery, chopped

Slice off the exterior of the celeriac (just use a knife, it's too big a job for a vegetable peeler). Use the benriner to cut thin-thin-thin ribbons. (If you want to use a knife for this, slice off the thinnest bit you can manage and taste it. If it's small enough to be edible, raw, than carry on. But if it's not, you might want to cook the celeriac before proceeding.) Add the remaining ingredients. Serve immediately.



A Veggie Venture is home of the Veggie Evangelist Alanna Kellogg and vegetable inspiration from Asparagus to Zucchini. © Copyright 2007
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. Looks amazing! And I thought my celeriac salad (celeriac, mayo, parsley, salt & pepper) was simple - yours even better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued! I've always waltzed right by the celeriac, not really knowing what one did with it.

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 11, 2007

    Celeriac is a fantastic vegetable. We never tried it raw Alanna with Freddie but I think I will go back and try this. He may like it if we are lucky. He certainly loved it when it was made into a soup or a lasagne...

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 11, 2007

    This is a great blog. I found you via google, when I was trying to find out something, and it occurs to me you might know the answer: do you know of a program in St Louis that does weekly or biweekly vegetable boxes?

    Not necessarily a CSA, though that might be workable as well, but something like the Good Food Box?

    I'm trying to locate something like that for a friend who is going to be living on a restricted income while she finishes her degree. (You will gather I agree with you about the importance of veggies!)

    I'd be grateful for any ideas.

    Marna Nightingale (marna at marna dot ca)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gad, how simply awesome! Why didn't I think of that? Well, because.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have fallen in LOVE with celeriac! I do and Apple-Celeriac-Date salad with a mayo-thinned with lemon dressing, but I cannot wait to try this one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really good -- I threw some julienned apple in there too, and some parsley leaves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna