Steamed Leeks with Chopped Eggs ♥

Steamed leeks are great!Cleaning the leeks, I wondered, what does raw leek taste like? So I tasted a bit: Whoooah, talk about serious onion flavor, not entirely pleasant.

But cooked? What a difference! Steamed leeks are sweet and buttery and entirely delicious, with great leek flavor but not onion-y at all.

LEEKY HUMOR True story. From my dear Auntie Karen, who's inspired and encouraged and occasionally butt-kicked me since I was seven and happily, my Uncle Ed married her into the family. (Imagine a seven-year old's swoon at the romance of a young, hip and oh-so-cool new aunt sweeping the floors of a Michigan town hall in a wedding dress.) I digress. She shared this in April: "A short note about my own veggie adventure. I wasn't that familiar with leeks, so decided to give them a try. I went to my grocery, found leeks. One bunch was small and one bunch was large, and both were the same price. So, if I'm paying 2.00 per package I'm going to get the best. The veggie guy wasn't around, so I went to the deli (figured they worked with food and would know everything about leeks). I held up the two packages and asked her if she knew something about leeks? She smiled, and replied no but my husband is a plumber! Talk about a veggie adventure! Only Auntie K could run into this."

HOW TO CLEAN LEEKS Leeks collect grit while growing so need careful cleaning. First, cut off the root end, then peel one or two layers of tough outer leaves. (Washed well, these outer leaves can be saved for leek stock, which is quite delicious, or saved in the freezer in a collection bag with other vegetable trimmings for adding to stock later.) Then slice off the leaves just at the point where they turn dark. (This is what recipes mean when call for "leeks, white and light-green parts only".) Now halve the leek lengthwise, then gently separate the whorls, still keeping them together with your fingers, however, and wash well under running water. Slice as needed. NEW TIP Now take a look at the big section of dark leaves you set aside. If you peel back a layer or two of the dark leaves in this section, you'll find still more white and light-green parts for steaming or cooking.

KITCHEN NOTES
  • The only 'hard' thing about this recipe is figuring out how to steam a vegetable that needs to lie flat. I placed a collapsible metal steamer inside a covered skillet - spread flat, it worked like a charm!
  • The leeks are delicious but the sauce only good, not special. Plus the balsamic vinegar makes the color 'off'; next time I'll use a white wine vinegar or even a white balsamic vinegar. I'd also be tempted to drizzle with just a simple vinaigrette, like my favorite salad dressing.
  • Even after steaming, some of the outer leaves were more chewy than really edible. These were easy enough to leave on the plate but for company, I might try "big" leeks but steam only a one- to two-inch core.
MONTHLY MINGLE: SPRING IS in the AIR
This is my first (finally!) entry into the Monthly Mingle at What's for Lunch Honey, a blog written by 'world-citizen' Meeta who lives in Germany. (Perhaps my only disappointment in blogging is that Meeta traveled to St. Louis last year and we didn't get to meet! Another year, let's hope!) This month, Meeta has challenged us to cook something 'springy'. Steamed leeks are definitely springy!



FROM THE ARCHIVES The Recipe Box has plenty of leek recipes.



PRINT JUST A RECIPE! Now you can print a recipe without wasting ink and paper on the header and sidebar. Here's how.

NEVER MISS A RECIPE! Just enter your e-mail address in the box in the sidebar. Once you do, new recipes will be delivered, automatically, straight to your e-mail In Box.

STEAMED LEEKS with CHOPPED EGGS

Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Time to table: 20 minutes
Serves 4

2 leeks, trimmed and cleaned (see above for How to Clean Leeks)

Bring water to a boil in a steaming vessel large enough to hold leeks flat. Place leeks in steamer, cover and steam for about 10 minutes. With tongs, lift from steamer and arrange on platter.

SAUCE (enough for perhaps 8 leeks)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine or white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon good mustard
1 tablespoon mayonnaise (I used low-fat Hellmann's)
Salt to taste

2 tablespoons capers
1 hard-cooked egg, mashed with a fork (how to boil eggs)

While leeks steam, whisk the dressing ingredients. (If you stop here, you could put the dressing in a squeeze bottle to drizzle across the leeks. You could also mix in the capers and egg.) Drizzle dressing across leeks, then sprinkle with capers and chopped egg.



A Veggie Venture is home of the Veggie Evangelist Alanna Kellogg and vegetable inspiration from Asparagus to Zucchini. © Copyright 2007
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. HAHA! Alanna, I tried raw leek a few weeks back too and probably had the same look you had! I loved your Aunt K's story.
    I am soooo excited that you are finally coming over for the MINGLE! Even if it is virtually. I know last year was a bummer. I blame myself for that entirely. Had my brain not dissolved I would have put two and two together. I can be a dork at times. I do so wish we get to meet up some day!
    For now I am just over the moon that you managed to find an appropriate dish to one of my themes.
    THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raw leeks make you wonder why on earth you're going to eat them cooked. But once cooked, they're fantastic, I had a leek terrine recently that was amazing so I went and picked my own yesterday and have big plans for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm. I _always_ nibble on raw leeks when cooking them, and I quite like the taste. Strong, granted, but definitely not unpleasant. But then I tend to buy slim leeks:)
    Lovely-looking recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 09, 2007

    Leeks are a veggie that I've only recently come to appreciate - but I'm so glad I have... they've enhanced many a dinner and soup in our household! Steamed leeks with eggs sounds like a delicious and substantial combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd want to cut 'em up and scramble 'em with the eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must admit that it has never occurred to me to try a raw leek... how unadventurous and dull am I?!

    I love chicken and leek stew with dumplings. I think (but I'm not sure) that we saw Sarah Moulton making it on Food TV and learned a great way to wash leeks from her: cut the leeks, swish them around a bit in a bowl of water and then let them soak for about 5 minutes. Swish again. The sand floats to the bottom.

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meeta ~ We'll, um, 'meeta', some time, for sure!

    Brilynn ~ Yum, a terrine. It even sounds good! Can't wait to see what you come up with ...

    Pille ~ I think little leeks would be more delicate, yes. They're hard to come by here.

    Gilly ~ Agreed, completely!

    Jeff ~ Works for me!

    Elizabeth ~ Isn't it great how blogging opens our eyes and our imaginations?! BTW that technique works, and beautifully. But since leeks are so often the first ingredient into the pot, I prefer mine because there's no wait time ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a great combination! I'll have to try this before the leeks go out of season here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, indeed, Alanna, I love the internet!

    Our method works well for me because I'm always a little slow to get everything else together. I chop and let the leeks soak as I'm getting all the other ingredients out. The thing I really like about it too is that it doesn't seem to use up as much water.

    -Elizabeth

    P.S. Still haven't tried raw leek yet - no leeks in the house right now....

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJune 07, 2007

    I've made this a couple of times and loved it. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna