Autumn Slaw with Apples & Bacon ♥ Recipe

Today's coleslaw recipe: A cabbage slaw with apples, chives and bacon stirred in. Low carb. Weight Watchers 0 points.

Do you belong to the Bacon Club? You know, where members sign onto the idea that everything -- everything -- tastes better with bacon? You know, like Candied Bacon Ice Cream and Breakfast Cookies and Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies and Dark Chocolate & Bacon Cupcakes, even Bacon Vodka and a Bacon & Marmalade Sandwich or Bacon Cheddar Cream Cheese Icing. I'm not kidding.

Sign me up. This coleslaw was so-so ho-hum tasting without the bacon but moved into gobble-it-up territory once the bacon was stirred in.

[Note to Vegetarians]

AUTUMN SLAW with APPLES & BACON

Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Time to table: 20 minutes
Makes 7 cups

DRESSING
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1-1/2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Red pepper flakes to taste

SLAW
1 shallot, minced
2 tablespoons chopped chives
2 ribs celery, sliced thin on the diagonal
1 tart apple, quartered, cored, sliced
6 cups chopped cabbage (some red cabbage would add good color)
1/4 cup cooked bacon pieces

DRESSING: Whisk together.

SLAW: Mix and toss with dressing.


KITCHEN NOTES
The bacon gets soggy if left in the slaw so unless it's going to be consumed all at once, you might mix the bacon into just what will be eaten on the spot.





PRINT JUST A RECIPE! Now you can print a recipe without wasting ink and paper on the header and sidebar. Here's how.




Looking for healthy ways to cook vegetables? A Veggie Venture is home to hundreds of quick, easy and healthful vegetable recipes and the famous Alphabet of Vegetables. Healthy eaters will love the low carb recipes and the Weight Watchers recipes.
© Copyright 2008

Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. Thing is when you use bacon like this, it's not going to run the calories and me off the scale. It's pretty hard to not like bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful slaw recipe! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic looking recipe. it restores my faith in slaws. All those mayo-slathered slaws can give a girl a headache (um, and a belly). This is a definite to try.

    And as per bacon: we are hosting our THIRD annual bacon party this weekend. Just what it sounds like: any variety of dishes (plus some of the unadulturated strips) that feature bacon bacon bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. why yes, I am a member of the Bacon Club. Everything does taste better with Bacon!

    Thanks for this recipe - I received a head of cabbage in my box this week and this salad will be perfect. I plan to use 1/2 for this and 1/2 for a cabbage risotto.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your "comments to vegetarians"... and being a "mostly herbivore" (but not completely) myself, I often find the need for just a bit of something to add a bit of flair :D
    I'm so glad to find a blog devoted to veggies in every way -
    Thanks for your awesome Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tanna ~ A little bacon is a good thing!

    Meg ~ Thanks!

    Erin ~ A bacon party, what a fabulous idea! I've done 'strawberry feasts' but hmm, what an idea you've set into my brain since there'll soon be a LOT of bacon in my life!

    KGG ~ Perfect!

    Lenora ~ Thank you for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bacon makes everything better doesn't it?!

    Great recipe!

    -Hilary of Smorgasbite.
    www.smorgasbite.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alanna—The slaw sounds delicious! And I agree, the bacon adds a nice contrast it would otherwise lack. Thanks so much for including my bacon & marmalade sandwich in your list. When I was first concocting it, I thought it would be too strange for most tastes, but it's been quite popular. Then again, what doesn't taste better with bacon?

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for this recipe.
    I made it last night for a wedding reception potluck today. I used all red cabbage (since that's what I had in the fridge) and it was great. I cooked the bacon and added in the morning - it still sat mixed in for several hours before eating and was great. I used slab bacon cut into small chunks. I'm thinking that perhaps if I make this again for a potluck I'll divide a big batch into two -- one with bacon and another with toasted nuts for the vegetarians.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna