Low-Carb Fried 'Potatoes' (Turnips) ♥ Recipe

A low-carb alternative to fried potatoes
Today's vegetable recipe: A low-carb substitute for fried potatoes, turnips fried with onions and seasoned with cumin. Weight Watchers 1 point.

Okay, so of course turnips aren't potatoes.

But for those who either choose or must follow low-carb diets, call me surprised that to my taste anyway, fried turnips are a good substitute -- it just takes cooking them at high heat until they develop that golden-brown color and oniony flavor we so associate with fried potatoes, whether for breakfast (my downfall favorite) or for supper. These were great!

Full disclosure: better good luck than good management! I learned about fried turnips only because the phone rang while cooking supper and soon enough -- oops -- the turnips were looking more than a little done. I feared they were lost but took one bite and whoah -- just kept on cooking.

LOW-CARB FRIED TURNIPS

Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Time to table: 60 minutes
Serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 pound turnips, trimmed, peeled, cut in 3/4-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt & pepper to taste

In a large skillet, heat the oil on MEDIUM HIGH until shimmery. Add the onion and stir to coat with fat. Cook for 4 - 5 minutes until onion begins to turn gold. Add the turnips and stir to coat with fat. Let cook for about 15 minutes, stirring often, reducing heat if needed to keep the turnips from burning. Add the cumin. Continue to cook for another 30 minutes or so (this long may not be needed but it worked for me) until the turnips are cooked through and beginning to caramelize. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!






PRINT JUST A RECIPE! Now you can print a recipe without wasting ink and paper on the header and sidebar. Here's how.





Looking for healthy ways to cook vegetables? A Veggie Venture is home to hundreds of quick, easy and healthful vegetable recipes and the famous Alphabet of Vegetables. Healthy eaters will love the low carb recipes and the Weight Watchers recipes.
© Copyright 2009

Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. What a smart - and sneaky - alternative!!

    PS Happy New Year, dear Alanna!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Alanna! Maybe 2009 will be the year in which I learn to love turnips....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I have some turnips in my fridge that I haven't figured out what I want to do with; this is it! Sounds yummy.

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe sounds great. I'm definitely going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually love turnips, so this really appeals to me. Happy New Year, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love turnips (so easy to grow, too!) and will definitely have to try these. Isn't it wonderful how some of the best recipes are created by accident? : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm! I could imagine that the "fresh" taste of turnips adds plenty of flavor to this dish!

    Great blog, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never had turnips before, and I was amazed! Thanks for turning me onto this great veggie (it is a veggie, right?). I don't follow low carb, but I adore carbs so much that where ever I can substitute helps ...

    In the last 2 weeks I've tried them this way, deep fried matchsticks (still limp, going to have to work on that recipe) and mashed. All yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tina from OklahomaJanuary 06, 2012

    LOVE it! I used olive oil and then added chicken broth to simmer, stirring occasionally, and replacing broth when it cooked dry. Also, added about 1/2 t sugar. FAB-U-LOUS! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had turnips before, now I'm hooked on these! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna