Mixed Fruit & Vegetable Salad ♥ Recipe

Today's vegetable recipe: An unusual and refreshing salad, a bright mix of chopped fruits and vegetables tossed with no more than salt and pepper and a little cinnamon. Low carb. Weight Watchers 1 point. Vegan. No added fat.

So why is it that 'vegetables' are usually served as a side dish and 'fruit' as dessert?

This salad really surprised me. Not only is it pretty -- isn't it pretty?! -- but instead of being a 'savory' salad, as expected, it's a 'sweet' salad, despite having no added sugar. The fruit alone adds so much sweetness to the crunch of the vegetables -- it made for a wonderful light dessert two nights in a row, and I can't wait to make it again.

The salad's texture was best shortly after it was mixed but the flavors melded beautifully after resting a few hours that I'm happy to say that it can be made in advance a few hours or even overnight. You could use any vegetables, I suppose, but the cantaloupe and apple, the cucumber and peppers, all mixed with the citrus, well, they were just perfect, just perfect.

MIXED FRUIT & VEGETABLE SALAD

Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Time to table: 25 minutes
Makes about 4 cups

1 apple, skin on
1 cup cantaloupe
1/2 an English cucumber, skin on
2 bell peppers (I used 1 green and 1 yellow, red would have added color contrast)

1 orange
Zest and juice of a lime
Fresh basil, cut into ribbons
Cinnamon to taste
Salt & pepper to taste

Cut the apple, cantaloupe, cucumber and peppers into a small neat dice.

Zest the orange, then slice off the skin, cut the flesh into a small neat dice. Stir the orange zest, orange flesh and remaining ingredients into the fruit and vegetable mixture. Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with a sprinkle of additional cinnamon and a piece of fresh basil.


KITCHEN NOTES
A reader's comment (see below) reminds me to remind others to always wash cantaloupes (and other fruits) very well. It's easy for bacteria to collect on the rough skin and be carried into the flesh by the knife as the melon is cut.

A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic







Looking for healthy ways to cook vegetables? A Veggie Venture is home to hundreds of quick, easy and healthful vegetable recipes and the famous Alphabet of Vegetables. Healthy eaters will love the low carb recipes and the Weight Watchers recipes.
© Copyright 2009

Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. OOh, this sounds good! Great dessert/side dish for the summer! I wonder if some sliced strawberries would be tasty with it as well...love strawberries and basil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you´re right. This is simply elegant, delicious and brilliant¡¡
    Thanks for posting.
    Best regards from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is pretty, Alanna :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unusual but I think it would be tasty especially since some other things you've recommended passed the taste test with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty indeed! And so healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often mix vegetables and fruit -- asparagus and strawberries is a favorite combination -- but the touch of cinnamon in the dressing is what intrigues me about this salad. I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alanna,
    I noticed that you had cantaloupe in this salad.

    After a disastrous two-day bowel 'incident' for my husband, we now SCRUB every cantaloupe and or fruit that comes under my jurisdiction.
    A small amount of dish soap and a nailbrush, over the entire surface of the cantaloupe. Getting the bacteria off the netting is very, very important.
    The doctors showed a cantaloupe on "The Doctor's" television show, and dropped blue food coloring onto the netting. As they cut down into the fruit, a generous amount of blue coloring invaded into the fruit. The blue coloring simulated the bacteria on the outside of the unwashed fruit on the netting.
    My husband will not eat any cantaloupe unless I have prepped it. I have taken the precaution of washing or at least vigorously rinsing all fruit, even bananas before cutting into them.
    A little precaution saves a lot of bowel misery. Pass it on, it is rare for a summer 'flu', most likely it is food poisoning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just my kind of refreshing salad. I love it as a salsa or a dessert. And, yes, it is pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If its veggies it must be good. More delightful if place in fabulous vegetarian hampers. Love your dishes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the apple cucumber combo. This recipe seems like a perfect treat for a hot summer evening. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds amazing! So creative and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply delicious, healthy and comforting! love the fruit and vegie combo :) keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Alanna...just beautiful...I started adding green grapes to my vegetable salads a few years ago and that led to more interesting combinations...one suggestion: I love the addition of largish chunks of sweet onion in a salad like this. The crunch and muted onion taste tang add a nice dimension. (I soak them 15-30 min in a solution of 1/2 tsp sugar:1 cup cold water to make them just a bit sweeter.)
    best, Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  14. You posted this recipe on May 31, and were so enthusiastic about it that I tried it for a potluck June 1. I was really wondering about basil, cinnamon, S&P, and thought if it wasn't a success that there would be less for me. Well, it was a success, and I will be making it again! What an interesting combination I never would have come up with on my own! Thank you for sharing both it and the inspiration for it (Nupur, India).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your addition of basil, and the photo of your salad looks so fresh and refreshing! Glad you liked the recipe...I'll let my aunt know :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm don't cook very often :) And I just need some clarification on the "lingo". What does this mean? "Zest the orange, then slice off the skin, cut the flesh into a small neat dice" I know what it means to zest the orange, but do i put the rest of the skin in and does any of the orange actually go into the salad?

    It looks delicious by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous ~ I am honored that you picked my recipe to make, here's to it turning out fabulously! :-)

    Yes, just use the zest and the orange pieces (flesh) in the salad, discard the remainder of the skin. You can pretty much count on this in any recipe. It's so unusual to use the heavy, bitter skin of citrus in a dish that a good writer will make a special point that it IS being used.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  23. both the cucumber and pepper are technically fruits "botanically speaking" which is why I think this works so well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Unknown ~ Ah yes, good point! I’ll watch for this with other fruit-vegetable salads to see how your idea stands up. I bet it does! Thanks for commenting ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna