(Un) Fried Green Tomatoes ♥ Recipe for Baked Green Tomatoes

Fried green tomatoes, but fried in the oven with no more than cooking spray
Thin slices of green tomatoes dipped in a seasoned cornmeal breading, then baked at high heat. Virtually no fat, thus 'healthy fried green tomatoes' (and baked, of course, not fried) but still full of flavor. Weight Watchers 2 points.

Fried green tomatoes have been a long time reaching A Veggie Venture, though not for lack of trying. Three years running, I tried new techniques. For a recipe that is so homely and humble -- heavens, we're just trying to use up upripe tomatoes just before or just after frost -- fried green tomatoes take a trick or two.

The breading needs to be light in texture but big on flavor.
The tomatoes need to be sliced thin, so they'll cook clear through.
Most of all, the fried green tomatoes need to be baked, not fried, giving the tomatoes more time to cook but also to eliminate all that gobby fat that the breading will soak up if you let it.

Is any of this heresy to southerners? I hope not, these are mighty good!

RECIPE for (UN) FRIED GREEN TOMATOES aka BAKED GREEN TOMATOES

Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Time to table: 50 minutes
Serves 4 (assumed 1/2 a tomato a serving)

BREADING
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt (don't skimp on the salt)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or the pepper!)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon pimenton or sweet paprika (or cumin or maybe garam masala)

TOMATOES
Buttermilk
2 large green tomatoes, core removed in a V shape, sliced crosswise about 1/3 inch thick

Preheat oven to 400F. Place a baking sheet in the oven for 5 minutes to get it plenty hot. Spray it with cooking spray. Meanwhile, stir together the breading. Place the breading in a large shallow container, the buttermilk in another. Slice the tomatoes. Once the baking sheet has been preheated, work quickly. Dip each tomato slice into the buttermilk, then into the breading. Arrange on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the slices over. Bake another 10 minutes or until cooked clear through. Serve hot, they don't improve!


KITCHEN NOTES
Coarsely ground stone-ground cornmeal is too rough and won't adhere. Fine-ground stone-ground cornmeal may well work but I've never seen it.
It's quickest and cleanest to dip the tomatoes with your hands. Get right in there!

A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic




MORE RECIPES for GREEN TOMATOES
~ Scalloped Green Tomatoes
~ Green Tomato Pie ~
~ more tomato recipes ~
from A Veggie Venture

~ Warm Green Tomato & Apricot Salad ~
from the Inadvertent Gardener
~ Salsa Verde with Green Tomatoes, Avocado & Cilantro ~
from Kalyn's Kitchen
~ Spicy Green Tomato Soup ~
from The Joy of Soup
~ more green tomato recipes ~
via Food Blog Search, a hand-selected list of the best food blogs
from all across the world





Looking for healthy ways to cook vegetables? A Veggie Venture is home to hundreds of quick, easy and healthful vegetable recipes and the famous Alphabet of Vegetables. Healthy eaters will love the low carb recipes and the Weight Watchers recipes.
© Copyright 2009

Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. I, for one, was THRILLED that you posted the spinach and hard cooked eggs recipe. Sometimes I miss your earlier postings, since I'm a relatively new member and besides, I wanted to say "thanks" anyway to my fave food blog. I am a veggie LOVER and on Weight Watchers (I've lost 138 pounds so far). You have been very instrumental in that weight loss. Thank you - again.

    Sandy Donovan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to bake them. Not much to adapt to gluten free either. I had to give up spray oil in a can because of the soy but I think a little olive oil would be ok. I love the tip of preheating the baking sheet. Great idea! I made fried yellow tomatoes this summer but I think next time I'll bake them. It was too much oil and this sounds even better. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SandyDee8 ~ Well wow, thanks for that boost, for sure. And many many MANY congratulations to you on the weight loss. It's my honor to be a part of the journey to health.

    The Whole Gang ~ Baking had the added benefit of really focusing on the tomatoes, not the fried part. These were good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try not to drink any milk - do you think there's a milk-substitute that would work okay? Maybe soymilk? These look fantastic and I'd love to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gretchen ~ I'm such a nut for milk that I really haven't experimented with soy milk. Maybe another reader can answer the question? That said, the buttermilk I use really acts as a binder between the breading and the green tomatoes. So yes, I think it would work, I just have never done it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tomato season is over. You should have posted this months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotcha! Green tomatoes are indeed cooked at the very tail end of the tomato season, either just before or just after frost. I don't know where you are, but we had our first frost in Missouri over the weekend.

    Have a great day --

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tomato season is not over here, I still have some green tomatoes on my plants and I've never cooked fried green tomatoes. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I first tasted fried green tomatoes about 10 yrs ago in Atlanta, GA and fell in love. I have baked them too and really liked them. But since I only eat them once a year, I usually go with frying. Not as healthy I know. But a girl's gotta go crazy sometimes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never dared to try to make fried green tomatoes at home. I'm not a big fan of large amounts of hot oil in my kitchen.

    However, I have enjoyed fried green tomatoes at restaurants and loved them. So, I am thrilled you posted this recipe for me to bake them at home and save a few calories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh. If there are fried green tomatoes on a menu, I order them. I have never tried them at home. I love them with a little lobster or crab salad on top. You've inspired me to try them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have just picked a bucket of green tomatoes from our plants. This recipe is exactly what I was looking for - healthy and satisfying. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved these! My sister and I just made them. I have no clue about veggie seasons, but I found some green tomatoes at my local Publix. We used whole wheat flour and it worked just as well. You said not to skimp on the salt, and we love our salt, so we added a little extra but it was definitely too much. Stick with the teaspoon, people! Thanks for this great recipe, Alanna. Love the site!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your recipe for baked fried green tomatoes is not good. The tomatoes come out tasting really bland. They are not crisp they are mushy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous ~ Tastes vary, of course, but the one thing I would NOT call these Baked Green Tomatoes is either bland or mushy. Did you use the spice amounts specified? are your spices fresh? were the tomatoes already soft or mealy? All these things might make a difference in the outcome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna