Curried Cauliflower ♥ Recipe

Curried Cauliflower
Today's Vegetable Recipe: Fresh cauliflower florets braised in low-fat coconut milk and curry spices. Easy. Weight Watchers 1 point. Low carb. Vegan.

~recipe & photo updated 2008 and 2011~
~more recently updated recipes~

2005: After yesterday's Thanksgiving food excess, nothing appealed except hot, flavorful and virtuous comfort food. And did I ever luck out with this terrific cauliflower curry inspired by The Remarkable Palate. It was excellent! It worked as a side dish, even with most of the rich-tasting coconut milk left in the pan to further lighten the calories. But it would also make a great vegetarian supper, paired with, say, brown rice to soak up the coconut 'gravy', and maybe a few carrots tucked into the cauliflower.

2008: This is a really good cauliflower dish. I let it cook some longer this time so that the coconut milk was absorbed into the cauliflower and some of it broke down to form a coconuty-cauliflowery gravy - very good.

2011: This time I used the whole can of coconut milk, rather than a mix of coconut milk and chicken stock. To my taste, all coconut milk turns out way too rich, detracting from the inherent deliciousness of the cauliflower itself.

REVIEWS
"It is wonderful and will now be one of my favorites." ~ GinnyBerry
"... it came out delicious." ~ Sarah
"Great recipe. We make this a lot." ~ Anonymous

RECIPE for CURRIED CAULIFLOWER

See Remarkable Palate's inspiring recipe
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Time to table: 35 minutes
Serves 6

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced

1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
Pinch cloves
Smaller pinch of cayenne

COOK THE CAULIFLOWER in the COCONUT MILK
1 head cauliflower, cored, cut into bite-size pieces (a 2 1/4 pound head yielded 1 1/2 pounds trimmed cauliflower)
1/2 a 15-oz can low-fat coconut milk (Mark uses a whole can of regular coconut milk)
1/2 a 15-oz can broth (Mark's recipe doesn't include this but the added liquid is needed to compensate for less coconut milk)
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional but does look better)

Heat a large skillet on MEDIUM HIGH. Add the oil and let it heat. Reduce heat to MEDIUM, add the onion and sauté til golden, 8 - 10 minutes. Add the spices and stir for a minute. Add the cauliflower, coconut milk and chicken broth. Cover (Mark leaves uncovered, presumably to cook down the liquid but I wanted to keep it) and let cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is very tender, about 15 - 25 minutes. If using, stir in the cilantro, serve and enjoy!

ALANNA's TIPS & KITCHEN NOTES
2008: I substituted a smidgin of Thai green curry paste. Very good!
To my taste, 100% coconut milk is too rich. I really prefer the version that uses half coconut milk and half chicken stock.


A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic





© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2005
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. Great adaptations! I'll have to try your version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is also one of my favorites!! I like the fact that you added coconut milk to it too, it really blends the flavor of the curry together! I love your veggie recipes here. I have to spend some time to go through your archives! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this today for the first time. It is wonderful and will now be one of my favorites. I blogged about it
    this evening as my "Meatless Monday" adventure for this week. My picture is not as good as yours. I did make a link pack to A Veggie Venture and gave you credit.

    GinnyBerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I can already tell from the sound of the ingredients that this will be a favorite for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make this with some chopped potato, peas and cashew nuts. I also throw in garlic and ginger with the onions. I tok some to a 'Curry Night' on Friday and it seemed to go down well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loveeeeee curry...so this may have to be one I try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I picked up a cauliflower at the store the other day without any real plan for what to do with it, so I looked up cauliflower recipes and this one jumped out at my sister and I. We added chicken for protein and it came out delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recipe. We make this a lot. One thing that is nice is to let it cook down and pure it into a smooth sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna