Day 301: Sugar Snap Peas with Lemon Butter ♥

Sugar Snap Peas with Lemon Butter
Today's quick and easy and healthy way to cook sugar snap peas: All it takes is a quick sauté in salted water. Then the flash-cooked sugar snap peas are tossed with a smidgen of butter, just a single teaspoon. But it's enough, it really is, because the lemon zest makes this one seriously tasty way to cook sugar snap peas. Low carb and because there is so little fat, so much fiber, these sugar snap peas add up to absolutely zero Weight Watchers points.

~recipe & photo updated 2013~
~more recently updated recipes~

2006 ORIGINAL POST: I can't remember the last time I cooked sugar snap peas. Hmmm: have I ever cooked sugar snap peas? Either way, what a mistake. These were easy-easy, quick-quick and tasty-tasty. (If you're into food-blogging acronyms like SHF and IMBB and DMBLGIT and ETC, then that'd be EEQQTT. And now that I've done the nutrition analysis, see below, let's make that EEQQTTHH, adding healthful-healthful.) And because there was nothing starchy to soak up the butter, a teaspoon went a long way taste-wise.

MANAGING THE MUNCHIES After supper tonight, I found myself rummaging in the fridge. You know that feeling, you've eaten but still want something more. The crackers, the chocolate, the pecans cried out for attention. But I put a serving of sugar snap peas in a bowl. What a GREAT munchie!! They need real chewing, not just swallowing, so last a long while. They're full of fiber so are filling. Plus they send forth piles of flavor so are oh-so-satisfying too. If your diet suffers from after-supper munchies, try keeping sugar snap peas on-the-ready.

2013 UPDATE: These are really good, weeknight-easy but company-good. I'm putting them on my "make often" list!


RECIPE for SUGAR SNAP PEAS with LEMON BUTTER

Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Time to table: 20 minutes
Serves 4


Salted water to cover
1 pound sugar snap peas (tonight's were fresh but I've seen them frozen too which would be even quicker)
1 teaspoon butter (reduced from 5 teaspoons but more than plenty)
Zest from a lemon
Good salt

Bring the water to a boil in a shallow skillet. Wash the peas and snip off the stem ends. (Instructions usually say to pull off the strings, too but what I had tonight weren't in the least stringy.) Cook for 3 minutes, drain and return to the hot pan. Add the butter and lemon and stir well to coat with the butter. Transfer to a serving dish, salt well, serve and enjoy!



A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic



Still Hungry?


A Veggie Venture is home of 'veggie evangelist' Alanna Kellogg and the
famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.
© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2006






Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. One of my favorite snacks is sugar snap peas with ranch dip. Nothing fancy, just the Hidden Valley Ranch packet mixed with sour cream. I even use light sour cream. Just delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alanna,

    Those look fantastic! And I agree I can't remember the last time I made sugar snap peas. And yet they're so delicious and nutritious.

    I love your blog and am adding you to the blog link list on my site!

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add me to the list of sugar snap pea lovers! I do them up in a little olive oil and lemon pepper. Love the crunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna