Warm Tomato, Corn & Okra Salad ♥

What a surprise, how delicious this was!

It's mid-summer farmers -market bounty (fresh tomatoes, corn and okra) warmed under the broiler, then tossed with fresh basil. Heaven!

It is also a great way to sneak in a few fresh okra, something that the Fatfree Vegan Kitchen often tantalizes us with but I'm still warming up to.

[I'm quite sure it's Susan who taught me how to tell if okra is fresh. Bend the tip, if it snaps off, it's fresh. If it bends but doesn't snap, it should be left behind! [later note: Susan alerted me that I had it exactly opposite so I've corrected the information so not to perpetuate misinformation]
The okra was a tiny bit gummy but not unpleasantly so. I've somewhere seen notes on how to prevent gumminess ... anyone have ideas?]

And because it warms under the broiler, for just 10-15 minutes, it hardly heats up the kitchen, making it a perfect vegetable choice for hot summer days!

NEXT TIME ...
  • For a main dish, I'd toss this into hot pasta with Parmesan and maybe pancetta or some bacon.
  • The recipe called for broiling the tomatoes alone first, then adding the okra and corn. Next time I'll do the tomatoes and okra together, so the okra cook a bit more.
  • I'll use more fresh basil, which really makes this dish.
FROM THE ARCHIVES ... For other ways to use perfect summer tomatoes, see here in the Recipe Box. Right now I have a hankering for this no-cook taboulleh and still another big bowl of panzanella.

WARM TOMATO, CORN & OKRA SALAD
Bookmark or print Warm Tomato, Corn & Okra Salad
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Time to table: 20 minutes
Serves 4
Weight Watchers 2 points per serving
NetCarb 18 per serving


1 pound perfectly ripe summer tomatoes, cores removed with a knife in a cone, halved lengthwise, then cut into half-inch slices, then slices halved
1/2 pound small fresh okra
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt & pepper

2 ears fresh corn, kernels sliced from ear

Fresh basil to taste (the recipe called for 2 tablespoons, I'd use 2x or 3x this)

Toss tomatoes, okra, olive oil and seasoning in a bowl. Transfer to a baking sheet. (You could skip the bowl step but I find it hard to evenly distribute a very small quantity of oil on a flat surface.) Heat under the broiler for 5 - 10 minutes, until okra begin to brown a little. Mix in corn and broil another 5 - 10 minutes. Stir in basil. Serve immediately.

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
Per Serving: 133 Cal (28% from Fat, 12% from Protein, 61% from Carb); 4 g Protein; 5 g Tot Fat; 1 g Sat Fat; 23 g Carb; 5 g Fiber; NetCarb 18; 57 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 26 mg Sodium; 0 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 2 points

SHORTHAND RECIPE
WARM TOMATO CORN OKRA SALAD Toss 1lb sliced tomato, ½ lb okra, 1T olive oil, S&P; broil 5-10min. Add 2 ears corn, broil 5-10min. Stir in ¼ c fresh basil. VV06 G6/94 Serves 4. WW=2


CREDIT WHERE CREDIT'S DUE
Adapted from Gourmet, June 1994


(c) Copyright 2006 Kitchen Parade
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. This looks delicious! I am actually planning to post an okra recipe today or tomorrow, so you know I love okra. I'll have to try this very soon. We keep having good okra at the farmers' market.

    But I think I use the exact opposite method to tell if it's fresh--if it snaps, it's fresh; if it bends, it's old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. I had it backward, then, but have corrected the post. Thanks!! Look for more okra here ... you've got me hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 02, 2007

    I must try this recipe... I want to try something new with Okra for a while now.
    Thanx for sharing,
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna