Day 100: No-Cook Tabbouleh ♥

No-Cook Tabbouleh
My favorite couscous salad, a vegetable-packed version of traditional taboulleh. The couscous "cooks" in lemon juice, then add piles of vegetables. It's a great "refrigerator" salad and keeps for many days. Weight Watchers? You're going to love this salad!

~recipe & photo updated in 2006 and 2011~
~more recently updated recipes~

2005: Day 100 - wow! There's no quitting now though perhaps I've missed out by not marking the milestone with some sort of vegetable powwow party?! OH WELL. On to the tabbouleh, an unusual no-cook version.

Start it before supper, finish it before bed, then refrigerate overnight. When you get home from work tomorrow, it'll be waiting and perfect. That said, next time I'll change the proportions - less couscous and more tomato. I'd either halve the couscous or double the tomato.

2006 Update: This time, I DID change the proportions ... perfect! And I also cut the olive oil to only 2 tablespoons ... perfect! It makes a huge calorie difference ... also brings down the Net Carbs from 16 to 11.

2011 Update: When I make this salad now, I start with 1 cup of couscous, the juice of six lemons and just 2 tablespoons olive oil -- and then start adding vegetables, think celery and onion, fennel, carrots, zucchini, kohlrabi, jicama. I like grape/cherry tomatoes better than chopped tomatoes, they hold up better in the refrigerator over several days.

RECIPE for NO-COOK TABBOULEH

Active time: 30 minutes
Time to table: 24 hours
Makes 9 cups (when made with 2 cups couscous, 8 cups when made with 1)

2 tablespoons or 1/2 cup olive oil (use 2 tablespoons for a bright, lemony taste, 1/2 cup for a more traditional tabolleh; reduced from 3/4 cup)
Zest of two lemons
3/4 cup lemon juice (from 6 medium lemons when using a citrus press, more if not; next time will use the zest of one or two lemons as well)
1 or 2 cups quick-cooking couscous (use 1 cup for less grain, 2 cups for more; I use and like the whole wheat couscous from Trader Joe's)

1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (or substitute the more traditional parsley)
1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
3 large tomatoes, chopped (grape and cherry tomatoes will keep their shape better if this is to be kept in the fridge awhile)
1 bell pepper, chopped (I used yellow for color contrast but red or orange would work too)
1 medium onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Additional lemon juice

In a very large bowl, stir together the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, then stir in the (uncooked) couscous. While chopping vegetables, let rest at room temperature to soften and "plump-en" to a texture like finely chopped nuts. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Add more lemon juice to taste. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours or so.

ALANNA's TIPS & KITCHEN NOTES
REST TIME Letting the salad rest for 24 hours before serving is important -- otherwise, it's just underwhelming, you'll wonder what the fuss is about.


A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic



MORE FAVORITE SUMMER "REFRIGERATOR SALAD" RECIPES
~ Chipotle & Chickpea Salad ~
~ Summer Lentils ~
~ Summer Orzo ~
~ more "refrigerator salad" recipes ~
from A Veggie Venture

~ Favorite Summer Salad Recipes ~
~ Quinoa & Black Bean Salad ~
~ Wild Rice Salad ~
~ Bloody Mary Salad ~
~ more salad recipes ~
from Kitchen Parade, my food column


A Veggie Venture is home of 'veggie evangelist' Alanna Kellogg and the
famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.
© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2005


1 comments:

I just discovered you a couple of hours ago. I have been concentrating on your Refrigerator Pickles and Refrigerator Salads. I can't wait to make this one, though I may have to practice a lot of patience since tomatoes are practically tasteless during the winter. I love how you include the Weight Watcher points. My son and my niece both need to lose weight. I'm sending them your link, also bookmarking you for myself.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna