Celeriac Remoulade ♥

Rémoulade, simple to make, versatile to use, delicious to eat!I can't say I set out to make homemade rémoulade.

What? You know, [ray-muh-LAHD], the 'classic French sauce made by combining mayonnaise (usually homemade) with mustard, capers and chopped gherkins, herbs and anchovies'. Thank you, Epicurious!

Heaven knows, I'm happy with shortcuts. But inspired by My French Cuisine's recipe for a celeriac salad recipe bookmarked ages ago, nothing could have been easier!

Recording the recipe here, I see that the chopped hard-boiled egg should be added AFTER the other ingredients are whizzed in the blender. Oops. But I'll tell you: what I loved most about this completely delicious sauce was the underlying egg flavor. I'd repeat the same "error" in a heartbeat.

And if you can't find or aren't interested in celeriac (aka celery root) don't worry. The sauce is itself is simply gorgeous. Essentially it's a mustard-y homemade mayonnaise. It was completely delicious over a light-supper asparagus omelet but it's easy to imagine it with fish, drizzled over steamed leeks, even in an unusual (for the States) cabbage coleslaw. I used about half with the celeriac salad, leaving plenty to experiment with.

BLANCHING Other recipes for celeriac salad call for blanching. My new favorite kitchen tool -- yes, the benriner -- cuts julienne pieces so fine that blanching isn't necessary. For today's salad, just to see, I did blanch the celeriac for 1 minute, though I didn't with this celeriac slaw. The taste and texture were the same.

NUTRITION NOTES Estelle says to use 1 or 2 cups of canola oil -- or "as much as you want". I started with 1/4 cup of oil, then slowly added what turned into another 1/4 cup. With the addition of more vinegar, that was perfect for me. So feel free to adjust to your own taste!

CAUTION If you worry about raw egg and salmonella, this recipe isn't for you - check the recipes below that call for commercial mayonnaise. In addition, this dish and any leftovers should be refrigerated promptly.



FROM THE ARCHIVES See all the celeriac recipes in Recipe Box.

TWO YEARS AGO Green Beans with "Doctored Butter"

GREAT FOOD BLOGS enjoying CELERIAC REMOULADE
Simply Recipes ... Celery Root Salad (no raw egg, suggests addition of grated apple, an idea I love)
Nami-Nami ... Celeriac Salad (no raw egg)
StephenCooks ... Celeriac Rémoulade (no raw egg)



PRINT JUST A RECIPE! Now you can print a recipe without wasting ink and paper on the header and sidebar. Here's how.

NEVER MISS A RECIPE! Just enter your e-mail address in the box in the sidebar. Once you do, new recipes will be delivered, automatically, straight to your e-mail In Box.

CELERIAC RÉMOULADE

See My French Cuisine's inspiring recipe
Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Time to table: 25 minutes (though Estelle advises to refrigerate overnight for the flavors to meld)
Serves 4

1 pound celeriac
Capers (or gherkins)

DRESSING - use about half of this for the salad
1 hard-boiled egg (how to cook hard-boiled eggs)
1 raw egg
2 tablespoons good mustard (Estelle calls for Dijon)
1 teaspoon good vinegar (I used about 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar)
Canola oil (Estelle calls for 1 - 2 cups, I used 1/2 cup)
Salt & pepper to taste
Fresh tarragon (I didn't have any but think it would be lovely)

Slice off the skin of the celeriac (it's too big a job for a vegetable peeler). Cut into a fine julienne (or you could use the grated on a food processor, too, even a hand grater, using the largest holes). If you like, blanch in boiling salted water but it should remain crunchy.

In a blender, whiz the eggs, mustard and vinegar til smooth. With the blender running, pour a thin stream of oil into the blender, allowing to 'emulsify' (create a creamy, airy mixture). Taste, adjust mustard, vinegar and oil and add seasoning and tarragon to taste.

Toss ABOUT HALF the dressing with the celeriac. Toss in capers (or gherkins).



A Veggie Venture is home of the Veggie Evangelist Alanna Kellogg and vegetable inspiration from Asparagus to Zucchini. © Copyright 2007
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. I really appreciate your comment on the amount of oil. I've found so many recipes that you can cut so much of the fat and never miss it. I'm trying to use celeriac more. Love the taste. I'll keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before, after, it's all going in the same place. ;) Thanks for featuring celeriac; I think it's one of those overlooked yet really tasty veggies that we should more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for instructions on BLANCHING A CELERIAC -- I'm making Consomme Olga for tonight's Last Night on the Titannic Party and had no idea what to do with this celeriac!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna