Roasted Asparagus with Anise ♥

Simple and slightly out of the ordinaryBy this time of the year, we've all had our fill of asparagus.

Except me! As much as I appreciate the beautiful St. Louis-grown asparagus, I love that good asparagus can be found at the grocery store both "before" and "after" our own growing season. There are just so many great ways to cook asparagus.

And when it comes to fat-fat spears of asparagus, oh they're so good roasted! This is another simple treatment, just anise seed and salt and pepper. The anise draws something unexpected out of the asparagus -- and no, it's not 'licorice' or even licorice flavor. It's a keeper.

See the little white bowl? A year ago Christmas, a very generous Santa gave me a gift certificate to Cornucopia, the kitchen shop located in my little hometown downtown. A gift certificate turned out to be the perfect choice for a 'cook who has everything', or at least, everything she really wants. I've been surprised by the usefulness of the small mortar and pestle I selected: it's just big enough to grind a few spices, perfect for my needs. And it tucks easily into the cupboard for grabbing at the last minute.



FROM THE ARCHIVES Have you checked the Recipe Box for asparagus recipes recently? It's packed!

ROASTED ASPARAGUS with ANISE SEED

Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Time to table: 30 minutes (assumes oven takes 15 minutes to preheat)
Serves 4

1 pound fresh asparagus, preferably thick spears
1 tablespoon olive oil (or use an olive oil mister)
1/2 teaspoon anise seed, ground in a mortar & pestle or in a coffee grinder
Salt & pepper to taste (go light on the salt, it can overpower the anise)

Preheat oven to 450F.

Wash the asparagus, snap off the woody ends. Toss with oil, anise seed and salt and pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet, with space between, and roast for about 10 minutes, turning once.



A Veggie Venture is home of the Veggie Evangelist Alanna Kellogg and vegetable inspiration from Asparagus to Zucchini. © Copyright 2007
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. Sick of asparagus? Never! I love the stuff and this is just WOW! With the flavor of anis is something I have not tried. Thank you for giving another excuse to rush out and buy more asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Meeta, I'd never get even remotely sick of asparagus. Love the sound of this. Now I'm wondering if I even have anise seed in my spice rack. Not sure I do.

    By the way, I have fond memories of Cornucopia from when you took me there! What a charming store. I just used the meat thermometer on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately all the aparagus we get here is imported and very very expensive. I wait until I get to the US to gorge on it. You are right, they are perfect when roasted. Interesting combo with the anise seed. I love star anise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alanna, now this is a flavour combination that I just have to try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna