Parmesan Sweet Potato Fries with Horseradish Sauce ♥

Quick! Grab some sweet potato fries while they're hot!
Today's vegetable recipe: Homemade sweet potato fries. Wedges of fresh sweet potato dusted with chili powder and grated Parmesan, then roasted.

OH MY. If you've not found Superbowl 'endzone appetizers' yet, grab some sweet potatoes and turn on the oven. These disappear in minutes and taste great with a beer. There's just enough spice, just enough sweet (from the sweet potatoes, my favorite variety, Red Garnet) and just enough oven time that they almost melt.

NUTRITION NOTES Not that sweet potato fries are, ahem, diet food, especially dipped in a dusky horseradish sauce, but I was able to really limit the fat. By melting the bacon grease, then using my hands to distribute it among the pieces of sweet potato -- it just went further and thus the recipe maintains my standard fat:vegetable ration, 1T:1lb.

PARMESAN SWEET POTATO FRIES with HORSERADISH SAUCE

Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Time to table: 1 hour
Serves 4

1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into wedges
1 tablespoon bacon grease, melted (or butter or olive oil)
1 teaspoon chili powder
Grated Parmesan, about 1 1/2 ounces
Salt to taste

Preheat oven to 425F. With your hands, toss sweet potatoes in the fat, rubbing each surface. (You can switch to a spatula now, if you wish.) Toss in the chili powder, Parmesan and salt. Arrange on a rimmed baking sheet, roast for 15 minutes. Turn over. Roast for another 15 - 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked through and slightly crispy on the outside. If you like, put under the broiler for 2 - 3 minutes to crisp up a bit. (But do know these are more like 'limp' than 'stiff' fries.)

HORSERADISH SAUCE
1 cup crème fraîche (how to make homemade crème fraîche) or sour cream
1 tablespoon horseradish
2 teaspoons Sherry wine vinegar (I used a gorgeous port vinegar from O Olive Oil)

Mix!


KITCHEN NOTES
Raw, peeled sweet potatoes brown when exposed to air so be sure to move quickly once they're peeled.


MORE APPETIZER RECIPES
~ Standing Veggies, a great way to present fresh vegetables ~
~ Spinach, Artichoke & Bacon Dip, a crowd favorite ~
~ more appetizer recipes from A Veggie Venture ~

From Kitchen Parade, a few favorite appetizers that are easy to transport and serve:
~ Easy Radish Spread ~
~ Easy Italian Appetizers ~
~ Black Pepper Almonds ~
~ more appetizer recipes from Kitchen Parade ~

~ a year ago this week, Peasant Cabbage Soup, sweet 'n' sour cabbage, my favorite soup from a whole month of soup recipes ~

~ two years ago today, Fennel Goulash, Day 298, fennel, tomato, potato, mushrooms ~




PRINT JUST A RECIPE! Now you can print a recipe without wasting ink and paper on the header and sidebar. Here's how.

NEVER MISS A RECIPE! For 'home delivery' of new recipes from A Veggie Venture, sign up here. Once you do, new recipes will be delivered, automatically, straight to your e-mail In Box.




Eat more vegetables! A Veggie Venture is the home of Veggie Evangelist Alanna Kellogg and is the award-winning source of free vegetable recipes, quick, easy, and yes, delicious. Start with the Alphabet of Vegetables or dive into all the Weight Watchers vegetable recipes or all the low carb vegetable recipes. © Copyright 2008


Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. This sounds really fantastic. I'm completely hooked on sweet potatoes these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very happy to be back in Estonia, but sometimes I wish I'd have my Edinburgh corner shop near by - so I could get sweet potatoes more easily..
    These sound delicious, Alanna! Horseradish rules :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've promised myself to get more sweet potato into my diet this year -- so your recipe could not come at a better time. And of course it's six hours before the Super Bowl, and I still don't have a menu plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm!!! I LOVE oven roasted sweet potatoes. We usually just roast them with salt, pepper and olive oil and eat them on rice with jerk pork.

    But what a good idea to add chili powder and parmesan to the potatoes AND make a horseradish sauce for them! You're brilliant.

    (Even if I'm not planning to watch the superbowl, can I have these?)

    -Elizabeth

    P.S. Mmmm, your strawberry banana crumble looks delicious! Good luck on the Death by Chocolate Contest. Tantalized, I took a look and see the following on the Culinate website TOS:
    Sweepstakes is open to legal residents, 18 or older, of the 50 United States (including the District of Columbia). Too bad they don't say "of the 51 United States" then Canadians would be eligible too. ;-) (I would have entered our chocolate morita roast chicken gravy)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kalyn ~ Your own sweet potato fries got my attention a few weeks ago, too!

    Pille ~ Oh no! I didn't realize that sweet potatoes hadn't crossed the world. Of course, then again, neither has your wonderful Estonian kama. :-)

    Lydia ~ Keep that promise, today, maybe?!

    Elizabeth ~ Ah, yes, the classic roasted sweet potatoes, but paired with jerk pork? YOU are brilliant! As for the PS so sorry, I had no idea. It likely has to do with sweepstakes rules, I used to run some marketing programs and it was very complicated to administer, and that was just abiding with the different rules from 50 states, let alone xxx number of countries. But too bad because your chicken gravy sounds divine ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to nominate you but I don't know the blogger URL name.
    Sunny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! I love sweet potato fries. And your sauce sounds really interesting. I'm not sure it would go over with my crowd of fourteen-year-old football fans, but I will definitely try this sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sunny ~ Thank you, thank you! I think that starting tomorrow, that the site will accept votes and everything will be clearer. Until then, I think all you can do is register so that come tomorrow, you may vote. So sorry for the mix-up, I'm wishing now I waited til tomorrow to put this up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you think 4am is a good time for a sweet potato fry snack? Could I be quiet as a mouse getting those into the oven?
    So good Alanna.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum - I love roasted sweet potato! We use chilli flakes as well : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I could take credit for the oven roasted sweet potatoes with jerk, Alanna. But it was my husband who thought of it one night when we had neglected to get plantain to make plantain discs. Now we ALWAYS neglect to get plantain.

    -Elizabeth

    P.S. No worries about the contest. We're used to it. It hadn't occurred to me that there would be complex rules about contests from state to state and country to country. Of course there would! And I guess from province to province in Canada as well. (Something to do with taxes??)

    Good luck with your entry! (You must try the hot pepper chocolate combo next time you make roast chicken gravy. It's fabulous.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Dad supplied me with a huge bag of homegrown sweet potatoes that have been sitting in my pantry for awhile...now I know what I'll be doing with them! And bacon grease! What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That really sounds great. And thanks for the tip of 1 lb of veggies per 1 T of oil. Very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I neglected to watch the superbowl, but this still sound delish. Especially the horseradish sauce. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG, does that look good! I've gotten "into" sweet potatoes this last year and absolutely love them. I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks Alanna!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just made a lighter version this evening! Delicious! Thanks for the recipe! Check out my version here:

    http://divaonadiet.com/2008/12/05/healthy-recipe-parmesan-sweet-potato-fries-with-light-horseradish-sauce/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Alanna! I made these for dinner w/ turkey burgers tonight. I'm delighted that I finally got LARGE sweet potatoes in the farm share!
    I had so many slices, from my 3 potatoes, that I filled up my rimmed baking sheet. I threw the rest on a piece of parchment and slid it onto my baking stone. They cooked faster and were more crispy than the ones in the baking sheet.
    Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna