Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie ♥ Two Recipes!

Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie
Today's smoothie recipes: Two ways to make smoothies from rhubarb and strawberries, one with raw rhubarb, another with a quick stove-top strawberry-rhubarb sauce.

Last week, I went dumpster-diving freezer-diving and spied one last bag of frozen rhubarb. Zip, zip, I worked up a couple of rhubarb smoothies starring one of spring's magical seasonal combinations, strawberries and rhubarb.

RAW RHUBARB For Smoothie Numbers One & Two, I used the rhubarb in its raw albeit wet and freezer-softened state. It had a tang, a sourness, that I especially liked, but some of rhubarb's natural stringiness survived the trip through the blender – not everyone would overlook this.

COOKED RHUBARB For Smoothie Numbers Three & Four, I cooked the rhubarb and strawberries together, letting their flavors meld, and sweeten, overnight before making the smoothies. The taste here is more like a traditional smoothie, fruity and sweet and well, yes, this is why they're called 'smoothies', smooth.

These recipes are so quick and easy that I'm adding them to a growing collection of easy summer recipes published all summer long in 2009 at Kitchen Parade, my food column, and now again in 2010. With a free Kitchen Parade e-mail subscription, you'll never miss a one!


STRAWBERRY RHUBARB SMOOTHIE
Recipe #1 - Raw Rhubarb

Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Time to table: 5 minutes
Makes 2-1/2 cups

1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup frozen rhubarb, chopped
5 strawberries (100 grams, 3-1/2 ounces)
Zest & juice (about 1 tablespoon) of a lime
1 egg white

Mix all ingredients in a blender. Serve and savor!



STRAWBERRY RHUBARB SMOOTHIE
Recipe #2 - Strawberry-Rhubarb Sauce

Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Time to table: 2 hours
Makes 3 cups

STRAWBERRY-RHUBARB SAUCE
1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen raw rhubarb, chopped
1-1/2 cups chopped fresh strawberries (from about 6-7 ounces)
1/4 cup sugar

In a small saucepan, combine the rhubarb, strawberries and sugar and cook on MEDIUM until just soft. Let cool, then refrigerate until cold.

SMOOTHIE
1 cup whole milk
1-1/2 cups Strawberry-Rhubarb Sauce
1 egg white

Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Serve and savor!



ALANNA's TIPS & KITCHEN NOTES
Since I was aiming for a 'dessert' smoothie, I used whole milk and the result was an extra-creamy smoothie. For fewer calories, use skim or low-fat milk.
Make extra sauce – it's fabulous on ice cream!


A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic







© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2010
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. Alanna, how do you suppose the uncooked version would work with plain (or even vanilla) yogurt in place of the buttermilk? I frequently enjoy a fruit smoothie for breakfast, and I'm always looking for new combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toy Lady ~ Yogurt is slightly thicker than buttermilk but the 'tang' is the same so, go for it! I've been luv-luv-luving smoothies made with buttermilk in the last few weeks.

    Sarah ~ Why thank you, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious- why the egg white? I'm a little leary of the raw egg. But my rhubarb is almost ripe, so I'm sure I'll be giving this a try soon. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy ~ One reason to use egg whites in smoothies is because they provide protein and frothiness with fewer calories. The other reason is to use up the whites when the yolks have been used for ice cream! Yes, I know, the trade-offs we make. :-) But you bring up a good point, which is that if anyone is concerned about the possibility of salmonella, that would be, at minimum, anyone with a compromised immune system or anyone who is pregnant, then raw egg is not a good idea. My friend Linda buys pasteurized eggs to use in such circumstances, they come in a milk-carton-like package near the eggs at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're willing to give up a bit of frothiness, protein powder (Trader Joe's sells it) would make a good substitute for the added protein from the egg white, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought it wasn't a good thing to use raw egg..? Anyway, your recipes and photos are beautiful, thanks!

    jessyburke88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to see a smoothie recipe that doesn't call for sugar! (Yes, I am referring to recipe #1, we'll just refer to #2 as an ice cream sauce ;).

    I don't ever use added sugar/honey/sweetener in my smoothies because I don't believe they need any when the fruit itself is so perfectly ripe and tasty.

    I love the idea of buttermilk-I frequently use yogurt but it would be a great use when I've got just a bit of buttermilk left in the bottle.

    Do you make green smoothies? I frequently grab some parsley and chard out of the garden and add them to some fruit for my breakfast smoothie. I say "my" because my kids don't generally drink green smoothies with me. I made a lovely parsley/chard/kiwi/pear smoothie the other morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never used rhubarb before, because usually the way I see it in recipes doesn't entice me enough to buy it. But I love smoothies! I'm going to remember this the next time that I'm in the store. Thanks Alanna! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering where the word "smoothie" comes from ;)
    But yes, rhubarb and strawberries are a perfect match. Not easy to combine always- the rhubarb season ends with Midsummer here, and the strawberry season begins but still - love it in cakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJuly 12, 2011

    I would not recommend consuming raw egg whites for two reasons: 1) This puts you at a risk for food poisoning; 2) consuming raw egg whites can cause a biotin deficiency. Please, practice safe food habits white cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wanted to let you know that I used this recipe as a base for the Strawberry-Rhubarb-Banana Smoothie I created for the June 2012 Crazy Cooking Challenge. You have been given proper credit. You have a wonderful blog here, and it is going to help me up my veggie intake. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna