Summer Black-Eyed Pea Salad ♥ Recipe

Summer Black-Eyed Pea Salad, hearty salad full of crunch and flavor, tastes like summer in a bowl but can be made any time of year. Vegan, low-carb and for Weight Watchers, just PointsPlus 1. AVeggieVenture.com
graphic button small size size 10 Say hello to my latest salad obsession, a hearty salad that's full of crunch and color. It looks like – tastes like – bites like – summer in a bowl! But it can be made any time of year, delivering the sense of summer all year long. Not just vegan, "Vegan Done Real" and just 1 Weight Watchers point! graphic button small size size 10

~recipe updated 2015~
~ republished for a little weekend cooking inspiration 2015~
~more recently updated recipes~

BACK IN 2011 My friend Chris first brought this to a Mardi Gras shindig. All the food that night was extra fabulous but a few of us all kept going back for more black-eyed pea salad! A few days later, I made the salad myself, nixing the bacon entirely and cutting the oil by half. Again – SO good! Those extra calories weren't in the least bit missed.

And then I made it again – didn't I say this salad is my current obsession? – cutting the oil by three-quarters. Chris and her husband were back for another little gathering and all three of us went back for seconds! So good! So fresh! So flexible!

This is a great dish to carry to a potluck, a family dinner, a church supper. It would be a great dish to deliver to a family where people are gathering for a funeral or where someone's sick or ... to make a meal of, all by yourself, just yourself and a spoon. (Obsession, you say? Uh huh.) I hope you like this salad as much as I do!

COMPLIMENTS!
"... smitten by the results. Such a beautiful dish!" ~ Charlie
"... it was fabulous!" ~ Tina
"So yummy with fresh mint!" ~ Robyn

RECIPE for SUMMER BLACK-EYED PEA SALAD

Hands-on time: 20 minutes over about 60 minutes
Time to table: 60 minutes but gets better if refrigerated to meld for a few hours
Makes 18 cups
SALAD
16 ounces frozen black-eyed peas, cooked according to package directions (see TIPS) but DO add salt to the water, even if the package doesn't say so
8 ounces frozen green peas, thawed (just leave them out while you're prepping it'll be enough)

4 green onions, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped on the diagonal
2 carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup fresh herbs - mint is great, so is rosemary

VINAIGRETTE
2 tablespoons olive oil (reduced from 8 tablespoons)
1/3 cup white wine vinegar (red works too but does stain the black-eyed peas a little)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper (don't skip this!)

Mix the salad ingredients. Mix the vinaigrette ingredients. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate. Easy! Done!

ALANNA's TIPS & KITCHEN NOTES
I found that the package directions slightly overcooked the black-eyed peas. So check them 10 or 15 minutes before done, you want the peas to be cooked but quite firm so they don't get mushy.
Concept recipe? You bet. Other ideas for the salad include: cucumber, corn, avocado, kohlrabi. Go for crunch and a good color mix. Very pretty!


A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic



Still Hungry?


MORE FAVORITE SUMMER SALAD RECIPES

~ Summer Lentils ~
~ Chipotle Chickpea Salad ~
~ Quick Radish & White Bean Salad ~
~ more more recipes with beans & lentils ~
from A Veggie Venture

~ Favorite Summer Salad Recipes ~
~ Alice Waters Coleslaw ~
~ Bloody Mary Salad ~
~ Sweet Potato Salad with Roasted Poblano, Roasted Corn & Chipotle ~
~ more salad recipes ~
from Kitchen Parade, my food column

EAT VEGETABLES IN SEASON: THIS WEEK, YEARS PAST

Asparagus with Dip Carrots Glazed with Maple Syrup & Lime Roasted Asparagus with Feta Green Beans with Onion & Almonds Perfect Hard-Boiled Ruby Eggs Oil & Honey Dressing for Salad Greens Carrot Cookies Day 365! of A Veggie Venture's first year-long odyssey Zucchini & Carrot Ribbons Dandelion Greens with Mushroom & Pancetta Pumpkin Muffins Sweet Cornbread How to Cook Artichokes in the Microwave Tofu Salad Sandwiches

© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2011 & 2015 (repub)
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. Sounds so delicious! I think I had this at supper club one time but never got the recipe. One question: When you say "8 oz. frozen peas", do you mean like English peas?

    I appreciate your website and your help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie ~ Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I mean English peas, otherwise known as "green" peas or just "peas". The frozen ones are SO good! I've updated the recipe too, thanks for the careful reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds very good to me! I'm a fan of the frozen black-eyed peas, so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, sounds wonderful. It's great to have a tried and true to take to pot lucks. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds awesome! I am not nuts about the veg and salad thing however I try to eat salads wherever possible so that I get some healthy foods in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yesterday Jan and I were both taken by your blog description of black-eyed pea salad, and since we had many of the ingredients on hand, decided to give it a try. I couldn't find frozen black-eyed peas, nor my fall-back, which was to be canned. So I settled for dried, and we gave them a quick soak. The whole process was somewhat rushed, and we should have waited until we had more time -- whenever that might be! -- but we were nonetheless smitten by the results. Such a beautiful dish! And we enjoyed eating it, but look forward to trying it after some more melding time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having just returned from a wedding in Alabama, I've been on a serious black eyed peas kick as of late. This is the PERFECT dish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never thought to try a black-eyed pea salad, but it sounds and looks delicious!
    dakotasommers(at)ymail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm... Looks so good! I can't wait for the weather to decide to *stay* warm around here so I can pull out some lighter recipes. :D I think I'll try this with some dill when I get the chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking for a vegan dish idea for dinner and came across your blog, lovely picture, I just had to see what it was:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for the recipe. I served it to my parents and husband for Sunday dinner this week and it was fabulous! I used a bit of fresh basil for the herb. The only downside is that it makes a LOT - not necessarily a bad thing, but when there's only two of us it means we'll be eating the same thing several times this week. Thanks, though! I really enjoy your blog and the emails. Here is my blog where I wrote about this recipe: http://thesundaycook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tina, Thanks for the kind words and SO glad you liked the recipe, me too! :-) It does make a lot, it's why my recipes nearly always show how much volume the full recipe yields, that way readers can decide to make a half batch, a double batch whatever. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would tinned black eyed peas work, or would they be too mushy?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one needs no modifications for Virgin Diet! So yummy with fresh mint!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please help me understand what is "reduced olive oil"? I've spent an hour researching it online, but can't find any reference. Sorry to bother you...out of resources. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pterri ~ Oh dear, I hope you laugh at this one! It’s not that the olive oil is “reduced” like a reduction sauce or a syrup or something, it’s that I “reduced” the amount of oil called for from 8 tablespoons to 2 tablespoons -- I just used less! Sorry to send you on a reduced oil goose chase!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never come across frozen black eyed peas. Do you have a suggestion where I could get them. I am in NY. The salad looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chaya ~ Check the frozen vegetable section at your supermarket, that’s where I find frozen black-eyed peas. Of course, you could always cook your own black-eyed peas from the dried beans too. Good luck, let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. mmmm so sooo nice

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna