Beet Smoothies ♥ Two Recipes

Beet Smoothie
Today's new smoothie recipes, both starting with beets. The first is an unusual smoothie, just two-ingredients long, with cheek-pink color that would make a peacock blush. The second pairs mango with beets, with no added sugar, just plant-based sweetness.

But stick with me here, okay? Give me 30 seconds to make the case for making a smoothie with beets.
We know that beets have a natural sweetness – hence the garden beet's cousin, the sugar beet, accounts for a third of the world's sugar production. (Source: Wikipedia.)
The first recipe starts with pickled beets – that means that there's sweetness but a welcome note of sharpness, too.

This means that taste-wise, a beet smoothie isn't as outlandish as its admittedly outlandish pink color!

Tastes differ but I gotta tell you, I love beet smoothies. I didn't set out to create a beet smoothie recipe but one day I was out of fruit and wanted a morning smoothie – the Quick Pickled Beets in the refrigerator called to me. So simple! But if you're not ready to go for an all-beet smoothie yet, try the recipe for a Beet and Mango Smoothie!


PICKLED BEET SMOOTHIE
Recipe #1 - Pickled Beets

Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Time to table: 5 minutes
Makes 2 cups
1 cup buttermilk or skim milk
about 1/2 cup pickled beets (such as 5 Swedish Pickled Beets or Aunt Nellie's Pickled Beets sold in stores)

Process in a blender until smooth. That's it!


BEET & MANGO SMOOTHIES
Recipe #2 - Canned Beets

Adapted from Mango Smoothies
Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Time to table: 10 minutes
Makes 2-1/4 cups
1 mango, cubed (about 4 – 5 ounces)
1 cup low-fat goat milk (or skim milk)
3 small canned beets (about 3 ounces)
Juice of a fresh lime, about 1 tablespoon

Mix the mango, milk, beets and lime juice in a blender or food processor. Serve and enjoy!


A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic



MORE SURPRISING WAYS WITH BEETS
~ Summer Borscht ~
~ Raw Beet Sandwich ~
~ Beet Pesto ~
~ more beet recipes ~
from A Veggie Venture

~ Borscht Beets ~
~ Beet Röesti ~
~ Those Pink Potatoes ~
~ more beet recipes ~
from Kitchen Parade, my food column


A Veggie Venture is home of 'veggie evangelist' Alanna Kellogg and the
famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.
© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2011


Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. It's not that different from borscht and sour cream - an old world treat that's a great way to cool off on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting ~ and here I just put some boiled eggs in the left over pickled beet juice. I would prefer a smoothie! Thanks for sharing!
    'hugs from afar'

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beet smoothie? I'm really impressed. Sounds delicious. I don't do enough with beets - you're inspiring me! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I love them.

    Just found your blog and it is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love beets, but "beet smoothie" didn't sound at all good until I realized it was a cousin to borscht, which I love. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genius idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz-CoolProductsJune 14, 2011

    oh wow i have never heard or thought about beet smoothies. sounds like an easy recipe too.

    do you cut or slice them at all before putting them in the blender? also, i just have a hand blender, would that be fine or do you think a big blender works best?

    thanks!!!
    Liz-CoolProducts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Liz, Do you mean an immersion blender? It might work but I'd chop the beets quite small before using the blender.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have some garden fresh beets instead of canned. I assume they should be cooked and cooled before adding to the smoothie....do you think I should roast them?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Krissy - Oh yes, do cook them and roasting is a great way though slightly "heat" intensive for this time of year. This is my my favorite way to roast beets, with your gorgeous garden beets, be sure to try one of the "King Hill Farm" beets with the first one still hot from the pot! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just what I was looking for! I knew fresh beets were fine for juicing, but wasn't sure about pickled beets for a smoothie. That's just what I have on hand and was hoping to use! Thank you for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna