Eggplant Steaks ♥

As Alton Brown would say, Good Eats!
Today's vegetable recipe: Eggplant slices brushed with steak sauce and honey, then broiled and topped with Parmesan. Easy. Quick. Tasty.

I love to chat up the produce guys at the grocery store. They're full of good tips. Just yesterday, one was unpacking a lug of gorgeous eggplant. "Do you ever get Japanese eggplant?" I asked, just curious. "Some times," he answered. "Do they sell?" I wondered. Nope. "But the globe eggplants are one of our best sellers."

Really? This veggie evangelist had best catch up! There are several good eggplant recipes here -- but clearly, not enough. I grabbed a couple of eggplants, came home and straight-off made these for lunch -- using pantry ingredients, nothing more. They were just excellent, creamy on the inside, slightly crispy on the outside, lots of flavor. Score one for eggplant lovers, here's another great way to cook eggplant.

While the 'Eggplant Steak' name suggests something meaty and substantial enough for a vegetarian supper, for me, these are a side dish.

NUTRITION NOTES The Alton Brown recipe that I modified called for four whole tablespoons of olive oil. Really? I couldn't imagine any oil was necessary with so many other wet ingredients. So I mixed two versions of the sauce, one with oil (albeit just one tablespoon) and one without. The oil isn't necessary -- but it does help the eggplant cook evenly and glisten beautifully. Side by side, I preferred the eggplant slices brushed with the oiled sauce but otherwise wouldn't have missed it.



FOR THE RECORD This is my contribution to Weekend Herb Blogging, this week hosted by The Well-Seasoned Cook.

FREE ICONS for BLOGGERS Share your love of fresh produce, whether from the farmers market, your own garden or even a CSA farmbox. Four icons celebrate fresh local vegetables and fruits -- and my fellow bloggers are invited to use them on their own blogs. Here's more information about the free icons for bloggers.



EGGPLANT RECIPES from the ARCHIVES
~ Roasted Baby Eggplant Halves with Herbs, impressive-looking and delicious ~
~ Grilled Eggplant with Balsamic Honey Syrup, utterly delicious ~
~ Summer Vegetable Stew, one of my very favorites from Year One ~
~ more eggplant recipes ~

~ 2006's asparagus with anchovies & garlic, quick, easy, low-calorie and a tad unusual ~
~ 2007's English peas with fresh mint, the English classic ~


EGGPLANT STEAKS

Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Time to table: 20 minutes
Serves 4

1 one-pound globe eggplant, stem end trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch slices cross-wise

SAUCE
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (oops! I didn't know til just now that I forgot this)
2 tablespoons thick steak sauce (St. Louisans, I used the great steak sauce from Tucker's Place, mine came from Schnucks but I've seen it elsewhere too)
1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
1 tablespoon honey (if needed, warm it in the microwave for a few seconds to make easier to pour)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste.

1/2 ounce of fresh Parmesan, grated

Mix the sauce. Brush onto both sides of the eggplant slices, arrange on a baking sheet. Place under the broiler until golden brown (the inspiring recipe said 2 minutes, mine took 3). Turn over and repeat. Sprinkle with cheese and put back under the broiler for another minute or two, just until golden. (Watch carefully, Parmesan will turn fast.)




PRINT JUST A RECIPE! Now you can print a recipe without wasting ink and paper on the header and sidebar. Here's how.

NEVER MISS A RECIPE! For 'home delivery' of new recipes from A Veggie Venture, sign up here. Once you do, new recipes will be delivered, automatically, straight to your e-mail In Box.




Do you suffer from lachanophobia? Turn to A Veggie Venture and Veggie Evangelist Alanna Kellogg for the best vegetable recipes online. Find a quick recipe for tonight's vegetable in the Alphabet of Vegetables or plan menus with vegetables in every course. If you're a dieter, turn to hundreds of zero-point, one- and two-point Weight Watchers recipes and many low carb recipes.
© Copyright 2008


Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. I *love* eggplant! I grow it every year in the garden. This recipe sounds wonderful. I think (however) that I would peel the eggplant before cooking as the skin is bitter on the big ones. Thanks for a great idea Alanna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Love eggplant! I bet this would be amazingly tasty with polenta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having portabella steaks tonight but tomorrow we'll be having eggplant steaks.
    Thanks for doing the sauce with and without the oil. I'd say your results are worth using the one! I'm always surprised (think I'd get use to it) but some many recipes use so much more fat that really is needed. Our American tongues just have gotten use to it I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally ~ Oh *good*! The peel was *very* slightly tough (but not unpalatably) but not bitter. And I think the steaks might hold together better still encased. I think this calls for another side-by-side test!

    Amy ~ Aii, yes, a good contrast to the eggplant. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Tanna ~ You SO inspire me to go with the moment, what sounds good NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment on vegetarian "steak." Both eggplant and portabello get made into sandwiches, etc, as if it's a protein filling. Delicious, yes, but still a vegetable. As for the skins, how about just peeling strips? That can help with the toughness. Our favorite eggplant use is in Caponata. We put just about anything in it with that yummy sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great "manly" eggplant recipe! I haven't seen it this way before - I'm definately going to try it, and the husband will be happy too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good. I have never actually cooked eggplant, but I love it. This recipe looks simple enough to be my first try. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that with a drizzling of honey (or agave nectar) and parmesan cheese, I could probably get my eggplant-averse husband to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so juicy and hearty, Alanna. My mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your eggplant looks beautiful! I think steak sauce is a great way to give meaty sensations to those of us who do not venture into the meat category at all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow the pictures in your blog are amazing, so clean and really really cool. I am a big fan of food pictures and read a lot of blogs around the world to see some of the better ones like these. I personally think there are people out there taking better and more interesting pics than the ones you see in cookbooks etc, at least you know that they are all real!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan ~ Strips might well work, it's worth a try.

    Darby ~ Look out Manwich, it's the Manplant.

    Magpie ~ Ahh then, you must-must try eggplant yourself.

    Lydia ~ A drizzle of honey over top? Dreamy.

    Karina ~ "Let's cook some juicy eggplant tonight." Ha!

    Nutrimommy ~ Steak sauce might well have anchovies in it, I'd check the ingredient list if you're strict.

    Private Chef ~ Thank you! No more ads for your site, please.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alana, these look meaty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just prepared this recipe with slight variations which I will share. NOTE: Nutrimommy indicated that steak sauce may have anchovies in it - so does Worcestershire sauce!
    I made the following changes with great results:
    1. I used veggie worcestershire sauce
    2. I used Papaya Curry marinade instead of steak sauce (no fat, carbs, or animals)
    3. I omitted the honey
    4. I used white wine instead of vinegar
    I also peeled the eggplant skin in intervals so that it was striped.
    Excellent! I would not have thought of this if I hadn't received the Veggie Venture email and I LOVE eggplant - so a big thank you!
    I think this would be great on the grill, too.
    Seashell

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds really great! I would never have thought to use steak sauce but it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seashell ~ You make my heart sing, girl! GREAT variations, and I'm so glad to hear that the striping worked. I bet it was pretty! Thank you so much for sharing your results!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a question. Do you think Bbq sauce would be a good substitute for the steak sauce? I never eat steak so I don't have any.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bookmarked! This definitely sounds like a candidate for the grill sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zoe ~ Good question! I think it would be fine although more tomato-ish than steak sauce. And we "only" want to use pantry ingredients for this simple dish so yes, please, do try it with barbecue sauce and then report back, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  20. i didn't have any Parmesan cheese and used shredded cheddar instead - was super yummy substitute! was a full meal for me. thanks again for the great post. you never fail.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK I tried this again today. Can you tell I'm an eggplant freak?

    This time I used 1 T Shula's Steak Sauce (we are crazy about Shula in Florida) and 1 T of the marinade (see my original variations).

    It made a thicker sauce, but I don't think improved on the already yummy taste. I wanted to make something that would appeal to meat eaters as I am attending a "block party" tonight in my neighborhood. They are serving Sloppy Joes as the main dish and I don't eat them, so thought I would contribute an alternative. (the "ManPlant" from an earlier blog)

    I'll let you know how it goes over with the crowd . .

    Seashell

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds really fantastic. I'm such an eggplant adorer. And the photo just makes me want to grab one and sink my teeth in right away!

    ReplyDelete
  23. AnonymousMay 02, 2008

    Report from block party: The eggplant was the first to disappear! The crowd of meat lovers couldn't get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  24. thats a very creative recipe:) I have nver broiled eggplant:) have to try yours:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna