Eight Ball Stuffed Zucchini ♥

Stuff these with mud and they'd still be pretty!What is it about late summer that all of a sudden I want to cook with vegetables again? For two, maybe three months, assembling vegetables into quick salads and side vegetables has been satisfying. But suddenly, I want more!

But not more complicated! These took only 20 minutes to assemble (oh wait, am I still assembling?!) and another 20 in the oven. The eight-ball 'round' zucchini are very tasty and perfect for stuffing -- no real recipe required but I'll share what I did because it was very good.

The basics would work for any stuffing. Scoop out the zucchini, steam them upside down for six or seven minutes, then stuff and toss into the oven to finish cooking and warm the contents. Yum ... a great vegetarian supper.

HOMEMADE BOURSIN I intended to use Boursin, the creamy-garlicky stuff from the grocery, as a binder. But -- what ARE they thinking? -- the stuff is selling at my local supermarket for $7.69 for 4.4 ounces which is a ridiculous $28 a pound. Forget that!!! I bought some Neufchatel, the low-fat cream cheese and made an extra-garlicky version of my Basil Cream Cheese Dip. It was perfect -- and maybe fifty cents. You could also use goat cheese or plain cream cheese, even feta, anything to bind the stuffing ingredients.

GROW YOUR OWN This is my contribution to the fun event happening at Andrea's Recipes. She's challenged us to cook something we've grown ourselves -- here it's the garlic and the basil, not much but two things I didn't grow last year!



FROM THE ARCHIVES Other 'stuffed' vegetables that I've loved are this feta-stuffed zucchini and a similar version for stuffed patty pan squash and as soon as winter squash begin to appear, acorn squash with quinoa & cherries.

A YEAR AGO Slow-Roasted Tomato Soup, a reminder to (you know what's coming, right?) slow-roast tomatoes!

TWO YEARS AGO New Potatoes with Mint & Parsley

Eight Ball Stuffed Zucchini

Hands-on time: 20 minutes (for two)
Time to table: 40 minutes
Serves 2

Eight ball zucchini, one per person

Per Zucchini, about this much, for stuffing:
1 - 2 tablespoons Boursin, goat cheese or cream cheese (or my homemade Boursin)
scant 1/2 cup cooked rice (I used a combination of brown and wild rice)
1 - 2 green onions, chopped
2 - 4 Kalamata olives, chopped
Fresh basil, chopped
Fresh red pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts (these were perfect)

Preheat oven to 350F.

Start water to boil for steaming the zucchini (I used a Dutch oven with a metal steamer rack). Wash the zucchinis well, paying special attention to the 'socket' and the stem areas. Slice off the top third or so of the stem end. With a paring knife, cut around the perimeter of the zucchini, leaving a 'wall' about 1/4 inch thick. Cut hatch marks into the flesh, without piercing the skin or the 'wall'. With a serrated grapefruit spoon, scoop out the flesh and set aside for another use. Scoop out the 'lid' too. Steam cutside down for 6 - 7 minutes.

Combine the stuffing ingredients. When the zucchini is steamed, pack tightly with filling ingredients. Place in oven dish, place the 'lid' on top and bake for about 20 minutes or until heated through.



NEVER MISS A RECIPE! For 'home delivery' of new recipes from A Veggie Venture, sign up here. Once you do, new recipes will be delivered, automatically, straight to your e-mail In Box.




How to eat more vegetables? A Veggie Venture is the home of Veggie Evangelist Alanna Kellogg and the award-winning source of free vegetable recipes with 800 quick and easy favorite vegetable recipes, the Alphabet of Vegetables, Weight Watchers low-point vegetable recipes, the just-relaunched low-carb vegetable recipes and microwave vegetable recipes.

Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. Hey, I just made a version of stuffed eight ball zucchini over the weekend. Mine was a little different, but also good. Love the idea of using cheese in the stuffing; wish I had thought of that! (Of course if there is cheese, I will love it, you know that!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those look really good! I'm always impressed at how creative you are with veggies. And I agree with Kalyn, give me the cheese, please! :-)

    Thanks for participating in Grow Your Own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alanna,

    These look great! I like your idea for homemade Boursin. I don't know about stuffing these w/ mud... they may look as good but I bet the taste would be a bit different :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alanna, This is beautiful and sounds delicious! Great for my macrobiotic (grain based) way of eating. My variation will be to leave the cheese off...maybe add a little olive oil or grated mochi (ever hear of it?) in place of cheese. Thanks for the great idea and colorful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so cute! I love the presentation, I think you could get kids to eat those because they're so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. $28 per pound, when it is so easy to make? Are they nuts? Thanks for the recipe -- these little zukes are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know just what you mean about cooking -- haven't felt like cooking for two months, and now that we've had a bit of cool evening temperature, I'm in the mood again. Love these eight-ball zucchini, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. toasted pine nuts are the best topper to a recipe ever. they're so extravagant and creamy- this recipe looks wonderful!

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good. Thanks for all the great ideas. I just made stuffed peppers the other night for dinner. They were Greek Style and very good.

    Visit me:
    http://birdfood-sharona.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. The zucchini we get is usually imported and always the cylindrical shape... so there's eight ball zucchini as well that's round? Never knew that or seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I just made stuffed eight ball zucchini the other night! I stuffed mine with bread, olives, and sun-dried tomatoes. I love your idea of adding the cheese(and I know Jeff will too!) Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna