Broccoli & Bok Choy with Coconut & Curry ♥ Recipe

A brilliant combination, coconut milk and Thai curry paste, here with broccoli and bok choy
Today's easy vegetable recipe: Broccoli florets and chopped bok choy braised in coconut milk tinged with Thai curry paste. Low carb. Weight Watchers 2 points. Vegan.

Broccoli & bok choy, coconut & curry. Say that three times, then add, distinct and delicious, easy and excellent, fun and flavorful. I could go on with all the letters of the alphabet, but you get the QT, yes?

This was one of those spur of the moment creations, just using up leftovers. But honestly, such creations don't always work out so well for me, I'm more about spotting good recipes than creating great recipes myself. But this one just happened and whoa -- call me glad!

THAI CURRY PASTE This is an amazing product. It comes in small jars, is inexpensive, takes just a smidge, lasts forever in the fridge and packs a real wollop of flavor. It's worth seeking out.

SIDE DISH? Sure, this makes for a great side dish. But the coconut milk is worth sopping up, so the broccoli-bok choy combination has great potential with rice or over pasta. Yumm.







BROCCOLI & BOK CHOY with COCONUT & CURRY

Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Time to table: 25 minutes
Serves 6

1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 tablespoon garlic (or to taste, I used garlic from a jar which is milder)
12 ounces fresh bok choy, stems chopped, leaves chopped separately and put aside at first
8 ounces broccoli florets
1 cup low-fat coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon green Thai curry paste
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds (optional but I love their drama!)
Drizzle of honey (optional but inspired)

In a large skillet, heat the oil on MEDIUM HIGH til shimmery. Add the garlic and cook for just a minute. Add the chopped bok choy stems and let cook for about 5 minutes, while prepping the broccoli and leaves. Stir in the broccoli, stir to coat with fat. Let cook until broccoli is heated through. Move the vegetables aside with a spatula, add the coconut milk and curry paste, stir to mix. Stir together the bok choy stems, the broccoli and the bok choy leaves, coating with coconut milk. Reduce heat to MEDIUM, cover and let cook, stirring frequently, until broccoli and bok choy are both cooked clear through. Transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with honey.




PRINT JUST A RECIPE! Now you can print a recipe without wasting ink and paper on the header and sidebar. Here's how.

NEVER MISS A RECIPE! For 'home delivery' of new recipes from A Veggie Venture, sign up here. Once you do, new recipes will be delivered, automatically, straight to your e-mail In Box.




Do you suffer from lachanophobia? Turn to A Veggie Venture and Veggie Evangelist Alanna Kellogg for the best vegetable recipes online. Find a quick recipe for tonight's vegetable in the Alphabet of Vegetables or plan menus with vegetables in every course. If you're a dieter, turn to hundreds of zero-point, one- and two-point Weight Watchers recipes and many low carb recipes.
© Copyright 2008


Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. Green and red curry pastes are staples in my pantry. A teaspoon here or there, some coconut milk (also a pantry staple), and whatever odds and ends of veggies, meat or tofu you have on hand, and you can make a great quick curry. I'd serve this recipe with rice and call it a main course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one! Never thought of using the curry paste with just vegetables, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm! I can't wait to give this a try, especially since I have some coconut milk in the pantry waiting to be used and broccoli and bok choy are starting to show up at the farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great. I've been experimenting with Thai food at home recently too. One day, I'm going to go all "hard core" and make my own curry paste. But the stuff in the bottle is SO convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I left out the bok choy b/c I didn't like it in 0 pt Asian WW Soup, so I assumed I wouldn't like it here. I used extra brocolli and added some sliced carrot. It was kind of bland - not a lot of curry flavor. I'll add more next time. I added some salt and a few drops of toasted sesame oil, and it was pretty good. I love the smell of curry, but I really struggle to get good flavor. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna