Sweet Potato Wedges with Rosemary & Lime Juice ♥

Sweet Potato Wedges with Rosemary & Lime Juice
Finally, a summer-y way to cook sweet potatoes. You're going to love these, I think!

Do you think of sweet potatoes as a summer vegetable? Me either. Growing season aside, sweet potatoes always seem just a little heavy for summer, don't they? But they're so good for us, so easy to find, so many people like them – I'm thrilled to have a good way to cook sweet potatoes in the summer – easy, quick, fresh and light. So good!

Just cut sweet potatoes in half and rub the cut sides in a little oil and butter and snips of fresh rosemary, then toss them in the oven. I love how the flat sides get slightly crispy and caramelized, how leaving the jackets on during baking keeps the sweet potatoes moist and ever so sweet.

You could serve them hot, I suppose, but it's summer. Just let them rest at room temperature and serve later – drizzled with a squeeze of lime juice. Heaven! How heavenly? Well I'm adding it to this small collection of My Favorite Sweet Potato Recipes. And I've decided they are "the" summer vegetable this year, the one to serve again and again.

THE SOUTH IS HOT! Today's recipe comes from Sara Foster's Southern Kitchen, it's just one of a half dozen southern-sentiment cookbooks that publishers have sent my way in the last few months. So far, this is my favorite. Every page is filled with food you want to eat -- and make -- neither fussy to make nor to serve. The ingredients are accessible ingredients, it's all "real food". And -- this is becoming my latest way to judge a new cookbook – it's not a dessert cookbook masquerading as something else. A recent cookbook or two use up almost half the pages in sweets – baked goods, desserts, etc. As delectable as we know that southern-style cakes and pies are (think Southern Belle Lemon Layer Cake), in Sara Foster's Southern Kitchen, only 15% of the pages are for desserts. Many thanks to Maria Braeckel from Random House for a complimentary copy.


RECIPE for SWEET POTATO WEDGES with ROSEMARY & LIME JUICE

Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Time to table: 45 minutes, longer if serving at room temperature
Serves 6, easily adjusted for more or fewer

1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced

3 smallish sweet potatoes, scrubbed well (see NOTES)

1 lime, cut into six wedges

Preheat oven to 375F. For easy clean-up, cover a baking sheet with foil. Pool butter and oil onto the foil in the center, sprinkle with rosemary. Cut sweet potatoes in half length-wise. Rub the cut sides in the butter/oil/rosemary and arrange slightly apart on the baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, remove from oven and rub again in the butter/oil/rosemary mixture. Bake for another 10 minutes or so, until the edges are turning golden and the potatoes are themselves are cooked through. Remove from the oven. Transfer to a serving dish and top with a wedge of fresh lime. Let cool to room temperature, can be made two to three hours in advance. At the table, squeeze lime juice over each half. Savor!

ALANNA's TIPS & KITCHEN NOTES
Sweet potatoes can be HUGE but for these, you'll want to choose the smallest you can find.
We eat these skins and all, they're soft and slightly chewy. Finger food!
Yes, I know those aren't actually sweet potato wedges, but don't wedges just sound better than halves?

A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic





© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2011


Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. This looks awesome. I would use Earth Balance for the "butter".
    Love sweet potatoes any which way, even juiced and grated into salads. Don't they have more potassium than bananas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have to admit, i eat sweet potatoes year round...i just can't get enough of them! i definitely have to try this combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 23, 2011

    I love sweet potatoes. The combo of rosemary and lemon sounds heavenly, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum - the rosemary makes is extra-special. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look sooo good! definitely not what I think of for summer, but after they cool down, they would be perfect for bbqs and parties.

    How much rosemary did you put in?

    Liz-CoolProducts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just WISH, dear Alanna, that sweet potatoes would be easy to find here - at least good ones :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJuly 25, 2011

    Yummy! I realized I only had 2 sweet potatoes after I mixed the olive, butter and rosemary, so I used all of it. I also added a little garlic salt, b/c I was using unsalted butter. I missed the step about the second application. Basically, I used a barbecue brush and heavily coated all sides of the sweet potato. I really like these! The lime lightens the sweetness, so it's not so heavy. I usually eat mine sweet potatoes with a LOT of butter and salt, but I really like these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christopher, Columbus, MSAugust 30, 2011

    I couldn't wait for them to chill. . .WOW!!! They taste like fruit loops!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna