Jicama Slaw ♥

Jicama Slaw, another unusual coleslaw ♥ AVeggieVenture.com
graphic button small size size 10 A fresh take on coleslaw, substituting wet and crunchy jicama for cabbage. It's a really summery coleslaw, light and bright tasting. Delicious! Low Carb. Very Weight Watchers Friendly. Not just vegan, Vegan Done Real. Naturally Gluten Free. Whole30 Friendly. graphic button small size size 10

~updated~
~more recently updated recipes~

WAY BACK IN 2006: When a guy – a GUY! – writes, "I just adore this recipe", it's gotta be good. And let me tell you, Matt Bites is right. I adore this recipe too. (And have you seen his food blog? I adore IT, too!) It's simple. Wet and sweet with jicama. Bright and fresh-tasting. A tad unusual. Low in calories. Low in carbs. It is a perfect make-ahead salad for outdoor picnics. It has no mayonnaise and pairs beautifully with other picnic food like fried chicken, sandwiches, etc.

UPDATE: I'm always pleased – so pleased! – when I remake a recipe and find it just as refreshing as its memory. Such was the case with this jicama slaw. It's completely a coleslaw, thanks to the texture, but jicama is a sweet surprise, wetter, brighter, softer than coleslaw. I'll say it again: "I adore this recipe."

WHAT IS JICAMA? I've started a new series of posts, quick introductions to unfamiliar vegetables.

COMPLIMENTS!
graphic button small size size 10 "... a hit the first time ... so freshening." ~ Bobi

RECIPE for JICAMA SLAW

Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Time to table: 25 minutes
Makes 6 cups

DRESSING
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
Zest and juice of 1 lime

SALAD
2 cups grated or chopped jicama (from about 1 pound, peel first)
1/2 an English cucumber, grated or chopped
4 red radishes, grated or chopped
1 carrot, grated or chopped
1/4 cup grated or chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Get creative – add & subtract, increase & decrease!

Whisk the dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Add the salad ingredients and toss.

ALANNA's TIPS & KITCHEN NOTES
2006: Next time, I'll make a double batch and keep it in the fridge for lunch-time salads all week – or to have ready for an impromtu picnic!
2006: Next time, I'll consider skipping the food processor for a salad-ish (vs slaw-ish) texture. Jicama grates easily with a box grater and a sharp knife makes quick work of the other vegetables. 2011: I did indeed take my own advice and grated the jicama with a box grater, using the large holes. This worked like a champ, I won't bother again to get out the food processor for jicama, at least for a small-ish job like this one.
2011: After 3 or 4 hours, the red radish color bleeds into the white-fleshed jicama. Next time, I'll add the radish just before stirring.
2006: This recipe was first published in St. Louis' Sauce Magazine (sorry, the story is no longer online) along with two other unusual salads. The first is the gorgeous Spring & Summer Sliced Salad from Orangette, the second is Carrot-Sesame Salad from Je Mange la Ville.



A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic




© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2006, 2011 (repub) & 2018
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. AnonymousJuly 13, 2006

    Oh yum. I like the idea of how sturdy the jicama would be to hold up over a little time. That's one of the things I like about broccoli slaw too. It doesn't get watered down and limp like cabbage slaw does sometimes in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 13, 2006

    That sound great if I only can get hold of such a jicama. Will keep my eyes open.... I love cole slaw which we often got served on our travels and I adored it. So maybe I should give it a try... Thanks for sharing, angelika

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 13, 2006

    That looks gorgeous. I would love to try that but I think I need to find a jicama first here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 15, 2006

    I know that my husband would love this recipe. There must be something about jicama that agrees with a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm featuring this recipe as one of the South Beach Recipes of the Week on my blog. I'm using your photo (with a photo credit for you of course) and a link to the recipe. Please let me know if you have any problem with how I've done this.
    Thanks,
    Kalyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJuly 19, 2006

    That sounds intriguing.

    I'm glad I dug up your web address again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, sounds like the perfect dish to keep in the fridge this summer - to have with a sandwich or wrap for lunch. I never thought of using jicama for a slaw. Thanks, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. My family in Mexico loves this recipe.
    1.-Coarsely grate a peeled jicama,
    2.-Coarsely grate some peeled carrots
    3.-peel some cucumbers, cut in half lenghtwise take out the seeds and cut in semicircles.
    4.-Take some oranges, cut in half and with a grapefruit knife take out the pulp, and squeeze the juice.
    Mix all together, add some coarse salt and chili powder. Put in the refrigerator and ¡Buen Provecho!
    If you want to, you can add some lemon juice.
    Children love it. We take it on picnics, in lunch boxes, or as a snack in hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bobi from MexicoApril 22, 2015

    I have been subscribed to Kitchen Parade and Veggie Venture for some time and really enjoy both the column and the blog. Jicama Slaw was a hit the first time I made it and I make it to lighten up all kinds of meals, it is so freshening.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna