Tomato Smoothie ♥

Tomato Smoothies ♥ AVeggieVenture.com. Low Carb. WW2.
graphic button small size size 10 A summer treat, a smoothie made with the fruit of a sweet, perfectly ripe summer tomato (we do remember that tomatoes are technically fruit, yes?) contrasting the tang of cold buttermilk. graphic button small size size 10

Ha! So is it true? I have the idea that all it takes are the words "tomato smoothie" and in an instant, everyone who reads them will be hankering one and know exactly how to make one too. Well just in case I'm wrong about that second point, here's the savory smoothie that I've been playing with.

And honestly, I started to call this recipe "Chilled Tomato Soup with Buttermilk" but with that name, well, doesn't it sound like it takes some, you know, effort? In contrast, a smoothie is on-the-spot, on-demand food, needing just the inspiration and a few minutes to toss into the blender and toss it down the throat.

So a "smoothie" it is. Serve it in glasses with straws or in bowls with spoons. It's still a smoothie.


RECIPE for TOMATO SMOOTHIE

Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Time to table: 5 minutes
Makes 2 cups

1 cup buttermilk
1 large very ripe summer tomato
1 - 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 - 3 teaspoons sugar, if needed, to balance the acidity
Drizzle of good balsamic vinegar

Combine buttermilk, tomato, red wine vinegar and sugar in a blender and process until pale and frothy. Pour into glasses or small bowls, drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Drink up!


A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic



Still Hungry?



MORE FAVORITE SMOOTHIE RECIPES

~ Beet Smoothies ~
~ Green Smoothies ~
~ Weight Watchers Smoothie Recipes ~
~ more drinks & smoothie recipes ~
from A Veggie Venture

~ Cantaloupe Smoothie ~
~ Mango Lassi with Fresh Mint ~
~ Mango & Beet Smoothies ~
~ more smoothie recipes ~
from Kitchen Parade, my food column

A Veggie Venture is home of 'veggie evangelist' Alanna Kellogg and the
famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.
© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2011 & 2015
Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. This sounds right up my tomato-loving alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very tasty! A nice summertime pick me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alanna, I've been in LOVE with tomato smoothies this summer! I generally use plain yogurt, though, rather than buttermilk. Also, I always like to have at least half of my fruit frozen for my smoothies.

    I LOVE your addition of balsamic vinegar - I'm going to have to try that next time - thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a child in the 1950s, my grandmother used to make a chilled tomato soup. It was the first way I ever had buttermilk that I liked. She would use tomato soup concentrate from a can and rather than add a can of water, she would use buttermilk. Garnished with dill. The current version is less processed, of course...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna