Day 124: Jealous Marys ♥

Lovely color, yes? And it tastes great, too, perfect for a small soiree on the patio.

It's a cucumber rendition of a bloody mary, pureed in a blender then strained, at my house in a [tool whose name I can't remember but will insert later] that lives in the basement until moments just like this.

This is my first-ever contribution to a blog party, where food bloggers from all over the world will make and post cocktail food and drinks. Check here for a recap!

If the idea of a 'vegetable drink' appeals to you, consider a Chilled Carrot Soup with Honey.

JEALOUS MARYS
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Time to table: 15 minutes
Makes 1 1/4 cups


1 English cucumber, chopped
1/4 cup chopped celery
juice from a lemon, about 2 tablespoons
1/2 tablespoon bottled horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Bit of ground pepper
Drop or two of Tabasco
3 ounces vodka (I used Absolut Citron)

Collect all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Force through a fine-mesh strainer, then discard the solids. Serve over ice in small glasses.

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
Per 1/4 cup: 41 Cal (5% from Fat, 12% from Protein, 83% from Carb); 0 g Protein; 0 g Tot Fat; 0 g Sat Fat; 2 g Carb; 0 g Fiber; 9 mg Calcium; 0 mg Iron; 208 mg Sodium; 0 mg Cholesterol, Weight Watchers 1 point

SOURCE
Gourmet, August 2005

5 comments:

Alanna...thanks! We're woefully behind on the drinks, so this will be a great addition.

Welcome to the party!

Hi Alanna! Just found your blog through the round-up and I love it! All of your veggie dishes are so inspirational, I'll definitely have to try some of them!

What do you think is the maximum time you could make this ahead? I make food to take to my sister's house every Sunday, and I like to do things a little bit ahead of time when possible.

Anonymous, I think a couple of hours wouldn't hurt but if it were me, I would do all the prep ahead of time, carry that to your sister's, then blitz in the blender right on the spot. It'd FEEL like a party too!

Thanks for the advice, Alanna. I love your site! Great recipes!

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna