Silky Smooth Corn Pudding ♥ Recipe

Silky Smooth Corn Pudding
Today's extra-easy Thanksgiving vegetable recipe: An oh-so-smooth custardy corn pudding that takes all of ten minutes to throw together. Now don't turn up your nose that it starts with a can of creamed corn. The resulting custard is slightly sweet, oh-so-smooth that I promise, no one will know. Everyone will think you are a kitchen magician! Silky Smooth Corn Pudding

Have you developed your own style, a personal preference for taste and timing? I sure have. When it's supper for one or two, my style is to make it fresh, eat it asap, no setting the slow cooker in the morning, no putting aside meals for the freezer.

But for parties and family gatherings? I am the make-ahead queen. That's why virtually every single Thanksgiving recipe here on A Veggie Venture includes tips for making a dish the day before. Last year's Thanksgiving, I cooked and prepped so much on the Wednesday that by Thursday morning, all that was left was to "cook" was the turkey my grandmother's butterhorns in the oven: talk about a relaxing day!

This easy corn pudding recipe strays from style but compensates by prepping – assembling, really is all – in a flat ten minutes. For such simplicity, the results are astounding, this dish looks and tastes like the cook spent time and effort coddling a custard.

T MINUS NINE DAYS Who's still looking for ideas for Thanksgiving recipes? I've got lots to share, from Favorite Recipes for Thanksgiving's Favorite Vegetables to Vegetarian Entrées for Thanksgiving to a full Six Thanksgiving Menus.

RECIPE for SILKY SMOOTH CORN PUDDING

Hands-on time: 10 minutes
Time to table: 2 hours
Makes 6 cups

3 large eggs
15 ounces canned cream-style corn
4 tablespoons sugar
1-1/2 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons salted butter, in tiny cubes

Preheat oven to 300F or 325F. Lightly butter a 1.5- or 2-quart baking dish.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Whisk in remaining ingredients except butter. Transfer to baking dish, stir in butter. Bake uncovered for 90 minutes (yes 90) or until the top is slightly browned.

MAKE-AHEAD TIPS Covered, the dish will stay hot for a good hour before serving, leaving room in the oven for another side dish or two.

ALANNA's TIPS & KITCHEN NOTES
I've made Silky Smooth Corn Pudding three times over the years. Once, the custard expressed a buttery liquid, very tasty but it makes it harder to serve. I didn't figure out how/why this happened. It might be prevented by cooking the pudding in a hot water bath.
Because of the eggs, I don't recommend prepping this ahead of time. Thirty minutes or so would be okay but no more.
My friend Mary's recipe called for 4 tablespoons butter, I don't find it necessary for taste or texture.



A Veggie Venture - Printer Friendly Recipe Graphic



Still Hungry?


KITCHEN PARADE, my food column THIS WEEK
Oven-Baked Whole-Grain Pilaf with Quinoa, Barley, Kamut & Other Grains

ST LOUIS POST-DISPATCH, my restaurant-recipe column LAST WEEK
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup from Saint Louis Club

EAT VEGETABLES IN SEASON: THIS WEEK, 2005 - 2011
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Acorn Squash Roasted Face Down Acorn Squash with Mustard & Honey Steak & Tomatoes Secrets of a Long Life Creamy Carrot Purée Creamy Cauliflower Gratin Maple Ginger Sweet Potatoes Winter Squash Polenta Beet Salad with Lemon & Olives Honey Pumpkin Pie (< this week's favorite! sweetened with honey not processed sugar) Thanksgiving Cake Slooow Country Green Beans Spinach Casserole Boozy Baked Celery Brussels Sprouts with Maple & Walnut Vinaigrette Green Beans with Browned Butter & Pine Nuts Celery Salad with Dates & Walnuts Book Club Books - My Reading Group's Book List Quick Green Chile Stew How to Cut, Peel & Cube a Butternut Squash and Keep All Ten Fingers Farro Risotto with Butternut Squash Vegetarian Entrées for Thanksgiving Favorite Recipes for Thanksgiving's Favorite Vegetables

MORE FAVORITE CORN RECIPES for THANKSGIVING
~ Thanksgiving Succotash ~
~ Marinated Vegetable Salad ~
~ more corn recipes ~
from A Veggie Venture

~ Fresh Creamed Corn ~
~ Sweet Potato Salad with Roasted Poblano, Roasted Corn & Chipotle ~
~ more corn recipes ~
from Kitchen Parade, my food column

A Veggie Venture is home of 'veggie evangelist' Alanna Kellogg and the
famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.
© Copyright Kitchen Parade 2012



Alanna Kellogg
Alanna Kellogg

A Veggie Venture is home of "veggie evangelist" Alanna Kellogg and the famous asparagus-to-zucchini Alphabet of Vegetables.

Comments

  1. This sounds terrific-I have a similar recipe that calls for a box of Jiffy cornmeal muffin mix, but when I haven't been visiting my SIL in Chelsea, MI (home to Jiffy)--but I do have a can of cream style--I'll try this.

    This year, I'm going to try baking my corn pudding in a preheated cast iron skillet, like I do my cornbread. I got the idea reading (at wheelchair basketball practice of all places) a Country Living mag from March 2012. The recipe for Christina Tosi's Cornbake suggests that. I'll keep ya posted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to write! I read each and every comment, for each and every recipe, whether a current recipe or a long-ago favorite. If you have a specific question, it's nearly always answered quick-quick. ~ Alanna